TECH: How to replace clock spring

I have a steering colum out of a 94 taurus. Does anybody know if the clock springs are interchangeable?

clock spring

My 95 L is wrecked and the airbag blew. The whole steering column is loose, you can move it up and down like the tilt is broken. I'm sure I need to replace the clock spring and the whole airbag unit but what else should I be looking at? Thanks in advance :help:

My 95 L is wrecked and the airbag blew. The whole steering column is loose, you can move it up and down like the tilt is broken. I'm sure I need to replace the clock spring and the whole airbag unit but what else should I be looking at? Thanks in advance :help:

Clockspring is prolly fine,
the loose column is most likley from the rear metal bracket on the column bending, you can unbolt the part and straighten it or buy a new one from ford. Just dont spin the steering wheel while shaft is disconected or the clockspring will be out of sync with steering box and will break.

my94lightning- thanks for the response, I'm gonna guess its too late on not turning the steering wheel, trucks been in the shop for 11 years wrecked so I'm sure the wheels been turned a few times moving it around. I'll look into that bracket.

Just did this last night in my 94 , and like everyone said it was fairly straight forward and easy job... Took my Time and it took just about 45 mins... Only suggestion i would ad is to remove the lower dash trim earlier so you can access the screw that holds the upper and lower column covers together easier..

Thanks Nloc
Chris

Back