TC for Street?

2000TXSVT

I'll try and explain my goal and why, and I'm hoping that you can tell me where my thinking is incorrect or help to work up an idea of what you can build.

I'm looking for maximum driveability for a 99% street driven truck. I've been stressing of the poor drivability of this jasper TC for a couple of years now, I've even had them replace it twice because I couldn't believe that they actually designed it to be this loose. It's a 2800 stall with the triple disk lockup. I've measured the output vs. input and get as much as 18% slip before the lockup occurs which I find completely unacceptable. I'm wanting to go the opposite direction, from looser to tighter.

Based on my understanding of torque convertors I think I'm looking for a larger diameter, It's my understanding that this will reduce my torque multiplication factor a little but will increase the overall efficiency. I would like it to be as efficient as possible for towing, driveability as to not heat up from excessive slip, and the stall speed setup so that it will stall in the 2200ish range, just a little more than stock. Can this be done by adjusting the sprag setup without compromising on the efficiency? Reliability, My ultimate goal will be to put about 650hp to the wheels (that's a little ways off) right now I'm only around 420 at the wheels but I want it to hold up so I don't have to worry about it when I do get there. Does that mean getting a multi-disk lockup or would a single would be acceptable because of the larger diameter and higher efficiency that there will be less stress on the disk?

Thanks for your help.

2000TXSVT said:
I'll try and explain my goal and why, and I'm hoping that you can tell me where my thinking is incorrect or help to work up an idea of what you can build.

I'm looking for maximum driveability for a 99% street driven truck. I've been stressing of the poor drivability of this jasper TC for a couple of years now, I've even had them replace it twice because I couldn't believe that they actually designed it to be this loose. It's a 2800 stall with the triple disk lockup. I've measured the output vs. input and get as much as 18% slip before the lockup occurs which I find completely unacceptable. I'm wanting to go the opposite direction, from looser to tighter.

Based on my understanding of torque convertors I think I'm looking for a larger diameter, It's my understanding that this will reduce my torque multiplication factor a little but will increase the overall efficiency. I would like it to be as efficient as possible for towing, driveability as to not heat up from excessive slip, and the stall speed setup so that it will stall in the 2200ish range, just a little more than stock. Can this be done by adjusting the sprag setup without compromising on the efficiency? Reliability, My ultimate goal will be to put about 650hp to the wheels (that's a little ways off) right now I'm only around 420 at the wheels but I want it to hold up so I don't have to worry about it when I do get there. Does that mean getting a multi-disk lockup or would a single would be acceptable because of the larger diameter and higher efficiency that there will be less stress on the disk?

Thanks for your help.
The jasper unit is probably an 11" unit that has the stator cut, which is where the sliping is coming from. I make a 12" that will be perfect for what you want. Just a little stall over factory, right in the 2200 range. It has all the goodies, billet front, 3 disk clutch, furnaced brazed, torrington beraings, steel splines. $525. I would recomend a multi disk for durability, I can use the single disk but the price is not much different and you get a lot better clutch.

I got my 12" Circle D torqe converter installed this weekend.

I wanted to thank you to Chris and the guys at Circle D for the great service and the fast delivery.

Everything seems to be working correctly and the truck feels a bit tighter than it used to with the Jasper 2800 stall. To be honest I was expecting it to be a little tighter and in hindsight I probably should have order a stock stall. I don't feel like doing the swap again right now so it is what it is. There's no question that it is better than what I had before. I will try and post up an update when I've had some more seat time.

Jason

PS: The Jasper unit was a 12 converter.

Your welcome and thank you for the business. That is the 12" with just a pump change, I think it adds a little more fun into the truck. But it does still have a little more slip that a factory converter. If you ever want to change it out or have any other questions just let me know. Have you had a chance to measure the slip on the new converter?

Chris

Back