T6 Flange turbo with AC and maybe PS

no4njnk

P.U.T.U
My stepdad wants to get this thing rolling and I am not going to have time for another couple months to get a turbo kit made. Like I mentioned before the truck will be his daily driver so he needs AC. The only thing I can see him going without is a smog pump or power steering. Could you fab up a bracket that could hold the turbo up from one of those locations? Then we would also need all of the other pipes besides the downpipe because I know that will have to be custom.
I will send you both the turbo and the intercooler if that would help out. If needed we would go with a remote oil filter if the turbo has to sit that low. Let me know what you think and if you think this would work out could you give me a price for everything. Thanks.

What kind of turbo do you plan to use? motor specs? trucks intended use?

I need a little more info to come up with some ideas...

Dave

Good Gawd, a T6 on a street truck?? Why?? You cant put the power to the ground with what a good turbo with a T4 flange can deliver, I'm living proof of this, unless you are tubbing and running a huge tire.
AC and PS is what one must have on a driver used everyday or else he will get tired of it real fast, maybe 2-3 parking lots thats it. The T4 kit that Dave builds fits nice and makes a ton of power and is realistic for what a real stout street truck needs.,

Steve your a fire fighter, maybe you can talk some sense into him (and I am serious, he doesnt trust many people but since he is a fire fighter he trust yall).
Its a TV7512 converted to an 88mm. I know I can sell it off because they are in high demand but he is just stubborn. Heck, he wanted to put twin 76s in a 2000 lb car, thats just stupid to me.

So unless I can convince him to go to a Precision 76 (perfect for our trucks), here are the specs:

351w
Vic Jr heads and converted Vic Jr intake
Needs AC
No smog
Battery under bed
Coolant resevoir will be relocated
Can make custom fender wells
31x12x4 intercooler (will be sent to you)
T6 TV7512 turbo with 1.39 AR
Megasquirt

Thats all I can think of for now, thanks a ton for doing this because I know it takes up a lot of your time.

Hum, I'm not sure what that turbo is exactly but I assume it is some kind of diesel unit... The exhaust wheel is probably kind of large and heavy and it also has a big A/R so I would expect some lag with that unit... Sure it will make big power once you get it going but one of the most fun things about having a turbo on a street truck is being able to get boost instantly at part throttle... How much does that turbo weigh? Once the turbo gets over 30#'s it becomes more and more important as the weight increases to build significant bracing for it, I can not change much on my street kit without having the truck in person... I'm working off fixtures so that makes it hard to guess about what effect changing this and that does... I can easily switch the flange to a T6 and build the headers like normal but the turbo's compressor housing may hit the hood depending on it's size, and i would also worry about the weight of the unit and problems with the pipes cracking and such... If you guys what to try it that is fine by me but I cannot take the parts back if you don't like it or have issues with it... I would recomend selling that unit and getting PT-76 as it will work out much better for a street application and then I can do my normal setup via mail order.. If he is dead set on using that turbo you might try finding someone local to fab it as large turbo builds are done best in person...

Dave

Thanks Dave, that is exactly what I told him. Would your street kit work with the Vic Jr heads since the exhaust ports are raised a little bit?
If I remember right, Precision uses this turbo housing for their T6 flange stuff. Its the same turbo that Brent Davis has on Turbomustangs with a larger exhaust housing.
And Steve, I like them too. Especially since they flow around 335/250.:db:

I can answer that ?? since I asked him the same thing last week, the V jrs have a raised exhaust port of only 1/8" and will fit his pipe kit without issue

TV75xx units were used on the Detroit diesel 6v92 motors and are EXTREMELY popular amongst the V8 BBC/BBF crowd as well as the TV8101 which is from a 8v92 Detroit deisel. They are both T6 (large frame) turbos that have been known to make ALOT of power. Unfortunately as stated the have a VERY heavy Turbine wheel wheel and are not suitable for a street veichle due to the excessive lag which that produces. In a race veichle with a Powerglide/TH400 and a transbrake, they are capable pf producing 8 second vehicles. please see link below and click on the 922 NAM link.

http://www.boostdoctor.com/index2.html

Back