Suspension drop reference

OK. Since HaloGrinder thinks some of you are incapable of measuring correctly and the BMW way will have less error, please ignore the measurements instructions above and use his method instead. But, you'll have to provide the wheel diameter also. I'll erase the entries above, so if all the above could post their new results, HaloGrinder will post the calculated results.

;t

Bringing this thread back up because ive run into some sort of conflict or something. I had 3" Belltech Springs and DJM Shackles. I added Roush Leafs to the rear, but it measures 17 3/4" from the center of the rim to the lip of the fender. I cut the bump stops. I figured maybe it was because I tightened the bottom and top bolts of the shackles, and the front hanger bolts while the truck was still on jacks and the springs were fully un-compressed... so I loosen'd it all up and am letting it sit. Anyone have the same rear combo as me? I figure it should be a lot lower with Roush Leafs AND Shackles. If I add a ton of weight to the back and get it to go down 2", then tighten the bolts all up, will it make a difference? Im thinking maybe they sent me the wrong leafs?

-Mike

hmmmmm...

You should be at 17" with just the leafs and then add whatever you got with the shackles to that. How long have you driven it before measuring?

Just installed the supposed Hotchkis 1.5"/2.5" kit with everything, including the shocks. My '03 was 19"/22.5" stock, now its 18"/18" with the kit on. Will the front drop or "settle" with miles ?. I would not think that much. Truck is dead level, it does look good, but I wanted another .5"-.75" in the front so I could use shackles to get it down another 1" in the rear. Truck looks tough with 285/60/18's. CJB

C.J. said:
Just installed the supposed Hotchkis 1.5"/2.5" kit with everything, including the shocks.

My truck got a full 1.5” in the front and 2.0” in the rear once it settled.

We did not ralize that we needed to pull out the rubber isolators, the truck dropped another 5/8", and now the rear has settled ( or full tank) has dropped another 1/4". New dims. are 17 3/8" front and 17 3/4" rear.

I am glad that the thread came backup. I am in the process of putting the Hotchkis front and rear springs on my truck. I start with 19.25 in the front and rear. I hope that I do not end up with the rear lower than the front. I am also doing new shocks and LFP torque arms.:tug:

I have the LFP torque arms. I'm not happy with them. The front brackets hang down way to low. I have the Roush kit on my L and the front brackets for the bars hang down to about 6-7 inches off the ground. I have hit them several time in the week I have had them installed. I may take the front bracket and the arms off and only install them right before a track event. Do the JDM and JL front brackets hand down so far?

Jerry

Mark told me that i might have a problem with the rear mounts going over speed bumbs and such,but not the front. I do not know about other bars.
Kim

Beerkat,

You will like the Hotchkis set-up. Without any payload the truck has just a little bit of rake. Because of the body kit at the bottom of the truck, I feel you need a little rake, otherwise I would run it dead level. With a heavy loads in the bed 750 lbs. and up, the truck will be to low in the back. Look into different front springs if you want more rake or add blocks to the rear end to raise it.

CJB

Thanks CJB, I am having to put stock shackles on the truck, It had been lowered before I bought it. I am having a clearance problem with the exhaust and hope that the stock shackles will solve the problem.
Does your front mount bolt to the underside of the frame and point straight down, or does did it mount on the angle of the frame and point toward the rear some?

Last edited:
Another data point:

Hotchkis leafs (old version) plus 1/2" DJM hangars (using 1" holes) equals 17". Just right by my eye.

THe DJM hangars are a real tight fit on the leafs, but I imagine the slight rubbing (if any) will work itself out.

Now to get the right spring/isolator combo with Ruslow 1,100 coils and DJM 2" drop control arms. The saga continues . . .

I just did Stan's 1000# front coils, Hotchkis Bilsteins, and Hotchkis rear leafs (the newer version). Stock shackles, no spring isolator.

So far, with 160 miles on the new suspension WITHOUT an alignment on bald tires, my ride height is:

Front: 18 inches
Rear: 18.2 inches.

Will they settle more? I'm only seeing an inch drop in the front. :?

Will an alignment allow the bushings to settle more (loosening and re-tightening the cam bolts)...?

Im sitting at (17.5/18.5") with the FRPP kit. I want to drop the rear another inch for right now. What would be the best way to do it the easiest? How will the JLP 3" shackles and new hotchkis/bilstein rear shocks ride? The most weight I will ever have in the back of my truck at one time is a couple of hundred pounds, but usually around 100. Will the 3" shackles and/or shorter rear shocks affect this at all?

okay, my drops:

'01, from stock, FRPP 1/2 kit:

front: -1.75"; rear, -1.125". Those were the day of the drop, I'll check for settling shortly.

Back