supercharger questions

js95lightning

overhauling truck
i am debating on getting a turbo, supercharger, or set of heads and cam for my next modification, i cant do anything else for about 3-4 years until i get out of school so i want this to do alot, i have heard some good things about your superchargers.
now i want to run in the 12's or as close as i can get, but i want the best performance for my dollar, this is an everyday driver and sees the track about 6-7 times a year. what are the prices of your superchargers and what are the kits. also how much boost do they have (or capable of) and would putting an intercooler in with it help alot.
these are my current mods and what will be done when i decided what to do.
current mods:
cervinis ram air hood w/ k&n filter
underdrive pullies
bassani shorty headers
40 series flowmasters (no cats)
rebuilt tranny to 97 specs
level 10 shift kit
2400 art carr lockup converter
superchip
traction bars

dont know 1/4 mile as of now, i am waiting to get traction bars installed before i go to track, when i upgrade to whatever i do i will send the converter back to get the stall raised to 2800-3000 and will re-burn chip, i will also buy drag tires (et streets)

Hello,

All it basically comes down to is how much you want to spend? more money = more power its as simple as that...

1, My full deal supercharger kit is $3600. and comes with everything you need for approximately 8-10 # of boost and 120-150hp gain... At the track with a couple of tricks like increasing the fuel octane and adding the correct timing numbers it should be a low 13 second truck with your exhaust, converter and sticky tires... High 12's would be very possible in good air...

upgrading the kit will be much less expensive than the other stuff that's out there... It will grow with you...

2, The next upgrades would be..., dual pump relay ($60) fuel injectors ($225) chip or Tweecer ($350) FMU recalibration kit ($30) Blower pulley ($60) With a little tuning it could be 40-80hp stronger and a mid 12 second truck for approximately $4,325.

3, Intercooling would certainly help and make the power much easier to come by at any boost level beyond 8 #'s... It also allows you to run more aggressive boost and timing numbers on pump gasoline... intercooling the plan in paragraph 1 would certainly be a capable of high 12 second ET's... Intercooling the plan in paragraph 2 would be an easy mid to low 12 second truck... If you want an intercooler I could put together a setup for you... Cost would depend on what you want...

Going beyond this power level "safely & reliably" will require more serious mods... I would suggest going with plan 1 and you will have a lot of fun with that setup for quite a while! Then when your ready to step it up and move on to plan 2 & 3...

Turbo's - There great but they are a more complicated form of power adder... I wouldn't recommend one unless you feel very confident in your mechanical / tuning abilities... I have heard a lot of talk about guys waiting on turbo kits to be built by a competent builder / tuner in Las Vegas but I really have now idea what's included with this kit, how much it costs or when its going to be available so I don't care to speculate about it...

Heads & cam - If you want to keep it streetable your not going to gain a huge amount power like you would with a supercharger... Typical street type heads and cam package on a 351 Lightning anywhere from 40-80hp depending what you get..
Lets say your truck runs 14.5 now... With a supercharger you can be knocking on the 12 second door shortly after install! With heads a cam you might run a 13.9 shortly after the install if your lucky and maybe after a year of tinkering and trying every little trick in the book like a ported lower, U/D pulleys, electric fan, lighten the truck up. etc, etc you might run a mid 13 and If the sun and the moon aligns just right you could be like the infamous HotRod and run a 13.2... Running fast all motor is very hard to do! If your the type that enjoys scratching and clawing your way to lower ET's tenth by tenth (not that there's anything wrong with that)... It's a great way to go but if you can afford it the supercharger will get you to your goals much easier with less hassle...

I hope that answers most of your questions... I could also put together a budget type kit with a BD-11 head unit and no boost retard for $2700 if you would be interested in that... If you look down lower on this form under the thread "XB1-A kit pricing" you can see what is all included in my kits... I also plan to post a supercharger tech article on this form in the very near future (maybe later today) that explains the differences between the various supercharger kits available for the Gen 1 Lightning...

TTYL,
Dave

Last edited:
thanks for the info, i am probably going to go with the first choice and also add the intercooler, i will let you know as soon as i have the money, i am currently saving, i am just trying to finish up my sound system at this time, so i soon as i am ready i will let you know, your system sounds like the best i have heard of so far

if i go with step two and just not get the chip b/c i already have one, and an intercooler for that setup, how much would that run me around

Back