Stupid question

Not a stupid question. Boost creep is when boost level rises above set point because of an inadequate waste-gate, most likely undersize wastegate /and or piping but could also be adjustment too, ie spring/boost controller. Basically the exhaust flow is spinning the turbine side of the turbo making more boost that desired because the wastegate suffers from one of the above ailments.

Not just undersize piping but most of all piping placed in an inefficient maner.
I've replumbed a waste gate and gone from a boost creeping uncontollable mess to having total control and all I did was move one pipe about 6 inches from were it originally was placed.
Aerodynamics mean everything.

Here's a hint....T-boning a wastegate connection into the outside of a down pipe turn just as it exits the turbine housing probably will get you boost creep but if you move the wastegate dump to the inside of the bend were there is no high pressure, all will be good.
It's common sense, if it looks wrong it probably is.

Dale

I get a little creep with the BB truck - it gains about 2.5 psi in third gear according to the data logs. The real downside is that t means you can't turn the boost up for lower RPMs because it's going to get high at higher RPMs. It's not that unlike what happens with a centrifugal supercharger.

I pulled my exhaust apart last weekend and took a good look at the wastegate plumbing. I was surprised to see that the opening cut in the up-pipe is significantly smaller than the plumbing for the down pipe. My Dremel will get a bit of a workout taking care of that issue...

Undersized piping can cause it because of too much back pressure. A cloged cat or exhaust can cause it also. Over the years we have placed wastegates at many different angles.
And have found little difference between them. We switched WG manufactures because of quality issue. It was almost like we would get a bad batch. We have found that the turbosmart components are some of the best. WG size is really important with larger displacement motor above 400cid. We have time and time again used 38mm WG over the 1000HP range and not had a problem.

Thanks, Dalton

Back