Street Turbo Kit

Icepick

Single turbo street kit for the 93-95 Ford Lightning

1, 1 5/8 headers & 2.5 crossover, Ceramic coated satin silver or black $1300.

2, 3" down pipe Ceramic coated satin silver or black $300.

3, Complete 3.5" single exhaust $700.

4, optional cat pipe for single exhaust system $250.

5, non intercooled discharge pipe powder coated silver $225.

6, Powerstroke intercooler pipes powder coated silver $300.

Description of parts above,

1, This setup is designed to work with all of the stock accessories and will accommodate all the small frame turbos in the 60-76 MM size... Includes all hot parts before the turbo. 1 5/8 primary tube 4 into 1 short tube design, T4 turbine inlet flange, 2.5 crossover. Plumbed for a 38mm Turbosmart, Tial or other similar wastegates. All connections are V band, Choice of satin silver or black ceramic coating, includes copper port gaskets and bolts.

2, 3" down pipe, 3" V band connection on the turbine side and 3.5 V band on the exhaust side. Plumbed for a 38mm Turbosmart, Tial or other similar wastegates. includes clamp for turbine connection.

3, Single 3.5" complete exhaust system This design will also offer an optional cat pipe with quick removal and installation V band connections for service, racing, street or emissions purposes... 14" case Ultra Flow muffler, single 3.5" coated exhaust tip exiting in front of the passengers side rear tire. Exhaust system includes everything necessary for installation.

4, optional cat pipe for street and emission compliance,

5, Turbo discharge pipe, Connects the turbo's compressor to the throttle body, Pipes are powder coated silver (additional colors available on request) and plumbed with either a bung for a Bosch bypass/ blowoff valve or a flange for a other bypass/ blowoff like Greddy type RS, Turbonectics Raptor, Vortech Race or Mondo,
etc.

6, Intercooler pipes for the infamous "powerstroke" intercooler. These pipes can also be easily adapted to fit other front mount intercoolers with additional elbows & hose couplers... Pipes are powder coated silver (additional colors available on request) and plumbed with either a bung for a Bosch bypass/ blowoff valve or a flange for a other bypass/ blowoff like Greddy type RS, Turbonectics Raptor, Vortech Race or Mondo,etc.

General information about the turbo kit,

Pickrel Performance is not selling "complete" turbo kits... What I'm providing is "all the pipe work" which is by far the hardest part of building a turbo system. The turbocharger and other misc. supporting items will need to be purchased by the customer! I do not have the time or money to chase around all the little parts and keep these items in stock, I do not want to deal with the warranty or liability issues of the turbocharger, I do not have the time to offer much in the way of technical support beyond what I am selling... Anyone who buys a turbo kit from me will receive my full support for my end of the kit and I'm more than willing to offer advise on what supporting items need to be purchased, where they can be purchased and approximately what they cost... With that said here is a list of the items needed to complete the turbo system...

Parts to complete turbo kit "supplied by the customer"

Turbo Master Power T 70 supports up 650hp with small block Ford engine. $599. This is perfect turbo for a stock motor or mild combination.

Other turbos may be used if the customer is willing to send me there turbine housing so I can make the necessary changes to the wastegate / down pipe plumbing... The largest recommended turbo that can be used on this kit is the PT 76 GTS which costs about $1400. This turbo can support up to about 1000hp with
proprly built small block Ford engine. This turbo is best suited for 351-408ci engines with aftermarkets heads, cam, etc.

oil feed flange $15.
oil feed line $35.
misc. fitting for feed $10.
oil drain flange $20.
oil drain line $40.
3" I.D. silicone hose couplers $8 X 3 $32.
3" silicon hump hose for PS intercooler $40 X 2 $80. Ford PN- YC35-6C640-KA
3.5" I.D. consistent torque clamp $7 X 10 $70.
Power stroke intercooler $300.
Mondo bypass / blowoff valve $260.
Boush Bypass valve $50.
wastegate $225-$300.
Air Filter $40.

Fuel, ignition and tuning upgrades must be figured out by the customer.

At low boost 6-10psi can be supported with simple items such as a two pump trick and a FMU using the stock computer and injectors. Higher boost levels will need addtional items such as.... High out put ignition & coil, Inline fuel pump, Larger injector and computer tuning are recommended... A 70 MM turbo is a good setup for "stock type" motor... The boost will come in with a touch of the throttle and expect full boost by 3300 RPM using a Master Power T-70. This turbo can support up to about 20psi / 650 hp with a mild 351 Windsor based motor. The PT 76 GTS turbo is recommended for built motors, with forged internals, heads, cam, intake, fuel, ignition, tuning upgrades, etc.

Fuel, ignition and tuning Recommendations,

Two pump trick $90.

FMU & lines $250.

High output ignition & coil $300.

Inline fuel pump $200.

Tweecer, chip, MAF kit, etc. $300-$1000.

42-60#fuel injectors $175. - $300.

Total customer supplied parts cost estimate to complete the turbo system is $1500.-$2500. depending on the parts and turbo used.[/b]

I know people are going to ask me what the total cost is going to be to get a turbo system up and running on stock type truck with running 6-10psi = approximately 80-150hp gain and I will try to answer that now... Assuming your buying all the turbo pipe work and a full exhaust system from me you would be looking at something like this...

1 5/8 headers & 2.5 crossover, Ceramic coated satin silver or black $1300.

3" down pipe for single exhaust system. Ceramic coated satin silver or black $300.

Complete 3.5" single exhaust $700.

non intercooled discharge pipe powder coated silver $225.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total parts cost from Pickrel Performance $2525.

Parts to complete turbo kit "supplied by the customer

Master Power T70 $599.
oil feed flange $15.
oil feed line $35.
oil drain flange $20.
oil drain line $40.
3" I.D. silicone hose couplers $8 X 3 $32.
3.5" I.D. consistent torque clamp $7 X 10 $70.
Boush Bypass valve $50.
Tail 38mm wastegate $225.
4"inlet X 9" long air filter $40.
Two pump trick $90.
FMU & lines $250.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total parts "supplied by the customer" estimate $1486.

Grand total $4011.

This is very realistic estimate to complete a turbo system and have it running well at resonalable boost levels... It could be done cheaper by purchasing items used on ebay, etc. or it could cost more depending which parts you choose to purchase. An intercooled setup should be able to be done for an addtional $200-$300.

Orders can be placed by calling (937) 287-5085

Last edited:
This is a picture of the first kit installed on "JimmyLightnings" truck... His truck has mass air so I have to add an inlet for the meter and plumb the bypass back into it, A speed density truck would run a 9" cone filter directly on the turbo inlet and open vent the blowoff / bypass valve...

21851-1130-24886.jpg

This picture shows all the hot parts...

21851-1130-24887.jpg

Turbo header

21851-1130-24942.jpg

Crossover

21851-1130-24946.jpg

Exhaust head and mid pipes

21851-1130-24943.jpg

Exhaust system

21851-1130-24944.jpg

Tip

21851-1130-24945.jpg

Front end shot

21851-1130-25414.jpg

Hot parts coated black

21851-1130-34516.jpg

Last edited:
The dyno results of Jimmy Lightning's are as follows...

326 RWHP @ 9psi and 379 RWHP @ 13psi. This was on a "Mustang" dyno which are known to read about 15% lower than "Dynojet" numbers... Converted numbers would be 375 RWHP @ 9psi and 436 RWHP @ 13psi... All runs were done with 93 octane in the rear tank, 100 octane in the front (Two pump trick in effect) and 18 degrees of total advance... I think it is safe to say that this turbo setup has just about doubled the horsepower that it was making before the turbo installation... I'm totally convinced that this little T-70 turbo could make over 500 RWHP with race gas, 18 or 19 psi of boost and the correct tune... This is a completely "stock motor" I'm taking about! This is not my truck and I'm not going for any "glory runs" so it was time to head home happy with results as they are...

I drove the truck home from Columbus tonight to put some miles on it and make sure everything is working correctly... The truck drives like a stocker except for when you hit the go pedal... You can be doing 70MPH in OD cruising down the highway and just put your foot in it "slightly" the boost comes in instantly and will make 5-6 psi driving like this! It will move around an 18 wheeler like it was parked at 1/4 throttle! The part throttle response, HP and torque it makes at low RPM's amazing! It would make a die hard Kenne Bell lover "envious"... Anyways that's the story... I have all the fixtures made to make and produce these kits now so if someone is interested a setup like this give a call...

General info about JimmyLightings truck...

As it was brought to me, Stock motor and injectors, Full Bassani exhaust, PSP Mass air (VEX1) computer, Jim said the best run with the truck like this was something like a 15.2 @ 89 I believe which would equate to about 220 RWHP...

Current state, Pickrel Perfomance turbo pipe kit, includes all hot and cold parts and full 3.5 single exhaust system... Master Power T-70 turbo with the stock .68 A/R turbine housing, Powerstroke intercooler, 42# injectors, 90 mm Lightning MAF, 255 inline pump, two pump trick and Custom SCT tune done by Don and Rob from Lasota Racing Technologies...

Last edited:
Update,

(Quote from Jim) I made it down to LaSota Racing Technologies today to get the SCT BA 2400 MAF meter and a re-tune. The MAF is no longer pegging out, the A/F Ratios are good, and it is running really nice. The numbers (at about 15 psi of boost) on the Mustang Dynamometer were: 400.2 rwhp @ 5,250 RPM and the Max torque was 460.9 @ 3,750 RPM. (end quote)

(Quote from Don LaSota) He made that power at an A/F of roughly 11.3 at max RPMs and 18* of timing. The pure race gas tune he has adds 3* of timing. There is a ton more power by even leaning it out more - Rob (rl-) runs an A/F of close to 12.0 on his turbo Lightning and I run 11.9 on my turbo Mustang. I think Rob runs 22-23* of timing too. But this Lightning wasn't tuned for maximum power - it was tuned for safety with what I thought was really great power.

You have to remember that this Mustang dyno has been recently calibrated and compared to Dynojets in the Columbus area and shows 15% less than the Dynojets - so thatwould make his power on a Dynojet about 460 - which is terrific.

Don (end quote)

Last edited:
Back