Strange noise from trans/rear end?

core-rider

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Past few weeks I’ve been trying to narrow down a new noise on my truck… kind of a low “whirring” noise. Seems to be from the transmission I believe… possibly the rear end, but doubtful. Only hear it while moving, gets more noticeable to a point the faster I go, but doesn’t get louder above maybe 30mph… just stays the same. Sound doesn’t change if I’m moving and go to neutral so fairly sure it’s not the engine or torque converter. Also makes the same noise on a jack so I know it’s not the tires even though I kind of sounds like a quieter version of off-road tires if that makes any sense.

All fluid levels are good, trans fluid isn’t burnt smelling… somewhat at a loss here. Making me second guess if I should drive 700+ miles one-way to Ft. Worth for the LMR event next month.

Y’all have any ideas? I know it’s tough to diagnose something you can’t actually hear.

Edit: The more I think about it, maybe it is rear end... The sound doesn't change as the gears up/down shift. I put the truck back on jacks to spin the tires by hand. Don't notice anything odd. Only sound I really hear is the drums dragging a bit like they should. Nothing seems tight or loose... even removed the driveshaft to spin it over by the pinion. Checked the fluid level once more, and even though it was full I added a bit more just because.

Fluid looks good, was changed about 4 years ago, 10,000 miles... is still clear. No bouncing speedo. I did clean some small metal off the magnet, but nothing I'd call unusual.

Does this mean clutch dust or fragments?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

There were a few small fragments that I may not have gotten cleaned off back when I changed my VSS and replaced fluid. Other than that just what I’d consider dust.

I did a have some larger fragments (2-3 pieces maybe 1/8” sized) back when I changed the VSS, but no sound then. Cleaned everything best I could and haven’t noticed anything till the last few weeks. It is a 155,000 mile rear end with no rebuilding so maybe it is about time to swap some bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there's anything beyond that fine gray powder that comes from the clutches, there's something unhappy going on. And with the power and torque you're making now, the end is inevitable.

Been there, fixed that.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Yeah… guess it’s something I’ll have to address eventually… just hope it’s not as soon as the next month! Sounds like a new Winter project!

Does it change when you turn? Try driving at the speed where it's the worst and steer back and forth enough to shift weight from one side to the other. If it changes it's likely a wheel bearing/axle. If it doesn't change it could still be a bearing or axle. They are pretty simple to pull for inspection. Just look for pitting on the axle where the bearing rides.

I had to change mine a year or three ago. It was fine one day and making noise the next. No warning whatsoever. Ended up doing both new axles, axle and carrier bearings, and upgrading to a TruTrac. Shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.

I haven’t tried that maneuver specifically, but will next time I have her out.

Rear end on mine went for about 145k before needed bearings/gears full deal.

I’m looking forward to the show, hope you make it.

Back