Stock rearend....whats the lowest gear that will fit?

Duckettcrew

Got my eye on a 4.88 but not sure it will fit the factory housing.

Also have a new 351w based 460c.i. Ford crate engine going in soon.

I know I've seen something in the 5.70s before. Maybe 5.73? What is the application that you would need that much motor and that much gear? Even for 1/8 mile racing that's a lot of gear. It seems like maybe you haven't thought this through very well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've never had or worked on a bone stock Lightning with the stock rearend. Only highly modified stuff with a 9 inch.

"Way over my head"?.....LOL Yea your probably right.

I know I've seen something in the 5.70s before. Maybe 5.73? What is the application that you would need that much motor and that much gear? Even for 1/8 mile racing that's a lot of gear. It seems like maybe you haven't thought this through very well.

The application will be for fun only on the street. Low gears and big torque. I have other things I can drag race at the track.

The application will be for fun only on the street. Low gears and big torque. I have other things I can drag race at the track.

lmao. Pair them with a 4000 stall converter. You'll tack out at 3 mph in first and sound like you have a blown clutch when pulling out....

Thanks for the info. I've never had or worked on a bone stock Lightning with the stock rearend. Only highly modified stuff with a 9 inch.

"Way over my head"?.....LOL Yea your probably right.

Considering that anyone with significant experience would know exactly where to look to find the information you are after it isn't much of a stretch. Similar questions are asked here all the time and they are pretty much always from someone who has no idea what they are really getting themselves into.

lmao. Pair them with a 4000 stall converter. You'll tack out at 3 mph in first and sound like you have a blown clutch when pulling out....

Exactly. It will be hitting the rev limiter before the pedal gets all the way to the floor.

Got my eye on a 4.88 but not sure it will fit the factory housing.

Also have a new 351w based 460c.i. Ford crate engine going in soon.

What's the RPM range of that motor? I think a 4:88 would be awfully steep for it. I'd go with the stock rear and a looser converter.

Wondering if he has the Z460 Ford Performance stroker. It makes 575 Hp @ 5500 rpm. If he does, I'm sure that he is not running the factory computer and rev limiter.

What's the RPM range of that motor? I think a 4:88 would be awfully steep for it. I'd go with the stock rear and a looser converter.

The engine is 0-6000rpm. Was thinking steep rear and stock converter. The 460ci should idle at 800-900rpm easily and I know it is making 550ft lbs by 3500rpm. I just really dislike loose converters. Maybe Ill leave stock gears in and try it first.

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering if he has the Z460 Ford Performance stroker. It makes 575 Hp @ 5500 rpm. If he does, I'm sure that he is not running the factory computer and rev limiter.

Yeah its the z460

If he does, I'm sure that he is not running the factory computer and rev limiter.

I'm sure he's not either, but he's going to run something to keep it from self destructing. If he doesn't, I'll modify my statement to say that the rods will be on the ground before the pedal makes it all the way to the floor.

The engine is 0-6000rpm. Was thinking steep rear and stock converter. The 460ci should idle at 800-900rpm easily and I know it is making 550ft lbs by 3500rpm. I just really dislike loose converters. Maybe Ill leave stock gears in and try it first.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah its the z460

If you feel like it, shoot us some concise details about your truck, you'll get better answers and a lot less side bickering derails :) What are you going to use to manage the engine? Carb? Aftermarket EFI? Stock EFI? etc etc What trans do you have? What wheels? Sure does make it easier for us

Right now its a bone stoke '93 with 67,000mi. Only mod is the full Bassani exhaust system, headers, off road mid pipes, and forward exit. With the z460 crate engine I plan to use the Super Victor single plane efi manifold, 90 degree TB elbow and 90mm TB. Edelbrock fuel rails etc.

Plan to use the complete stock efi system and computer, or as much as possible with bigger injectors and possibly an inline booster pump. Retune the stock computer on a chassis dyno. Stock trans at this time, figure I'll fix it when it breaks. With limited traction it might actually last but if not I have a spare to build. Gen II wheels with 285/60/18 tires.

This engine has a SCAT forged crankshaft and SCAT h-beam rods. With the hydraulic roller cam I'm sure the crank and rods are safe. We have run 4.56, 4.88, and 5.14 gears with shorter tires than the Lightning on small to big engines without any problem in the 1/8 mile. The last engine was a stock 351W with Victor Jr heads and roller cam. Shifted at 6400 rpm with 4.88 gears and 28" tall tires. His engine with 4.88 gears would be fine from stop light to stop light but probably be too much gear for the full 1/4.

Also, people ran race cars for years without any rev limiters. Over revving this engine until it self destructs would take some serious effort and abuse.

Your setup has tons of torque so I'd be leaning on 4.30s and the stock converter. When I had my old set up it had 4.10s and a stock converter and it would hook anywhere, on any road, with no burnout and a drag radial. But it only did a best of 1.98 60ft. Same basic combo with a nice but loose converter 3200 stall got me a 1.76 60ft. This is a lower torque 357w.

This engine has a SCAT forged crankshaft and SCAT h-beam rods. With the hydraulic roller cam I'm sure the crank and rods are safe. We have run 4.56, 4.88, and 5.14 gears with shorter tires than the Lightning on small to big engines without any problem in the 1/8 mile. The last engine was a stock 351W with Victor Jr heads and roller cam. Shifted at 6400 rpm with 4.88 gears and 28" tall tires. His engine with 4.88 gears would be fine from stop light to stop light but probably be too much gear for the full 1/4.

The crank and rods will be fine. That was a tongue in cheek comment at the thought of him not running a rev limiter. His question was also what the lowest gear available for the 8.8 is and that's what I was referring to. 4.88 would be fine, but the lowest available looks like it's 5.71 and that would suck.

Also, people ran race cars for years without any rev limiters. Over revving this engine until it self destructs would take some serious effort and abuse.

Yes, they did. But it was a different time then and it was a lot more difficult to put enough air into an engine for it to hurt itself. If he did 5.71 gears he's looking at turning probably 6500 rpm in the 1/8 which isn't bad. In the 1/4 he'll be turning 7500. That probably wouldn't kill it the first time, but I'd say it falls into the area of abuse. Plus it would be a lot quicker with less gear if that was the case.

Seems like it will be more of a street motor. Get a gear that will give you good traction. Trust me, once you get over 500 HP or so you won't get traction with stock gears on the street. Pick a gear that will turn the 6000 rpm you said your motor will turn when your crossing the 1/4 mile in 3rd. If it were me I would put like 3.73 or 3.55's in for cruising around. If worried about your 60' then hit with a baby shot.

Thanks for the info fellow Lightning owners!

Does anyone have a rough estimate how much power the stock trans will take? Im not planning on slicks, drag radials, etc. Just street tires.

Thanks for the info fellow Lightning owners!

Does anyone have a rough estimate how much power the stock trans will take? Im not planning on slicks, drag radials, etc. Just street tires.

Some have put 600+ through them with a VB and converter. Not as strong as a stock 4r100 though which have been known to hold 1000hp.

Back