Stock fuel system E85 compatibility

Jamie V

Does anyone know what parts of the stock fuel system would/wouldn’t be compatible with E85?

Fill tube
Tank
Pump
Canister
Lines
Filter
Flexible parts of lines
O-rings on lines
Rails
Injectors
Regulator

Whatever I’m forgetting.

Certainly not the engine, EEC, HEGO, rollover valve grommet, the rubber inside the FDM, or the cats. Probably not the FPR, top injector O-rings, fuel line O-rings... I'd look for the earliest popular Ford E85 vehicles, and do some research on what problems they have. You could also browse the PCED & EVTM for parts, systems, & diagnoses specific to E85 vehicles.

Does anyone know what type of hose the flexible portion of our fuel lines are? Rubber, PTFE, something else?

Certainly not the engine, EEC, HEGO, rollover valve grommet, the rubber inside the FDM, or the cats. Probably not the FPR, top injector O-rings, fuel line O-rings... I'd look for the earliest popular Ford E85 vehicles, and do some research on what problems they have. You could also browse the PCED & EVTM for parts, systems, & diagnoses specific to E85 vehicles.

How is the engine not compatible?

Ethanol eats natural rubber. OEM pumps won’t cut it, rubber diaphragm. Injectors have to be e85 compliant and you will be replacing OEMs with injectors twice the size or bigger anyway. Most guys rebuild the entire fuel system because you have to deliver twice as much fuel. That means bigger supply and return lines. New pump and new filters. There are some e85 Facebook groups that may have better info for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethanol eats natural rubber. OEM pumps won’t cut it, rubber diaphragm. Injectors have to be e85 compliant and you will be replacing OEMs with injectors twice the size or bigger anyway. Most guys rebuild the entire fuel system because you have to deliver twice as much fuel. That means bigger supply and return lines. New pump and new filters. There are some e85 Facebook groups that may have better info for you.

John, I don’t have stock injectors, or stock pump, or stock FPR, or stock ECU, or stock tank and I know E85 requires 33% more fuel. I asked a “general” question so others could benefit from some of the info instead of just me.

Stainless steel tubing (fuel lines) are fine for E85 but I’m not sure what the flexible parts of those lines are made from (anyone can guess) and I’m not sure about other items like the guts of the fuel filter, o-ring material, FPR guts, etc, etc

I’m looking for sure information what stuff is defiantly compatible and defiantly not compatible.

Been running E85 for almost two years. Run a 255 pump in stock bucket in the rear tank, stock lines, aeromotive fpr, stock rails, stock gen 2 (42 lb) injectors. Using pro-m mass air with SCT chip, tuned by Triangle Speed. Not have had any problems yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...what type of hose the flexible portion of our fuel lines are?
I think it's nylon, like the older EFIs.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
In the same way it's not compatible with diesel. Can you blend diesel with acetone & MMO into something that the 5.8L engine can run on? Probably. But I don't consider that to be "compatible" in the way you were asking. I also don't consider E10 to be compatible, for the reasons shown in that first pic above, and this next one, and many other reasons:

(phone app link)

And I agree that all the trolls who are disrupting this thread with irrelevant posts should use the IGNORE function - it would make this forum a lot better.

I think it's nylon, like the older EFIs.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
In the same way it's not compatible with diesel. Can you blend diesel with acetone & MMO into something that the 5.8L engine can run on? Probably. But I don't consider that to be "compatible" in the way you were asking. I also don't consider E10 to be compatible, for the reasons shown in that first pic above, and this next one, and many other reasons:

(phone app link)

The phone links you posted don’t show up in the phone app so you can’t click on them.

This is a good picture of the lines cut.
6f2a31d3a0bdc3325715a6ab0474fb20.jpg

I still don’t understand how pistons, rings, cylinder heads, valves, intake manifolds, etc are not compatible???

Been running E85 for almost two years. Run a 255 pump in stock bucket in the rear tank, stock lines, aeromotive fpr, stock rails, stock gen 2 (42 lb) injectors. Using pro-m mass air with SCT chip, tuned by Triangle Speed. Not have had any problems yet

That’s good to know!

Don't think e85 is as corrosive as some think. Does some good to run regular gas every once in a while if one is worried. Check filters often and maybe pull injectors once a year to inspect. Should be just fine.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The phone links you posted don’t show up in the phone app...
One more reason for me hate those apps.
I still don’t understand how pistons, rings, cylinder heads, valves, intake manifolds, etc are not compatible?
I didn't say those parts weren't - I said the engine, because it's not designed to run on denatured alcohol (which is what E85 is). But if you want specific parts: the valves, guides, & seals. They were designed to be lubricated by Lead, but they were adapted to work without it. They were NEVER adapted for ethanol.

Steve, by your logic E10 is not compatible with these engines, and yet many folks get 3-400k miles out of an engine.

I’m guessing Jamie wants to know which parts to pull off and preserve if they’ll get destroyed by e85

Jamie, I would recommend getting an e85 compatible fire extinguisher to be on the safe side.
A buddies RX7 went up in flames, and what ever extinguisher they had on hand did not cut it.

Steve, by your logic E10 is not compatible with these engines, and yet many folks get 3-400k miles out of an engine.

I’m guessing Jamie wants to know which parts to pull off and preserve if they’ll get destroyed by e85

Jamie, I would recommend getting an e85 compatible fire extinguisher to be on the safe side.
A buddies RX7 went up in flames, and what ever extinguisher they had on hand did not cut it.

Jesus.... talk about worse case scenario.....

Good god the places this thread has gone so far from the point. All the exact parts that are incompatible I couldn't tell you.

I ran E85 for about 3 years in my completely stock fuel system other than upgraded injectors and pump. Walbro 255 in tank and 60lb Siemens injectors. Never had any issues with it. It was driven regularly. In all that time never had it eat any hoses, or have to replace the regulator anything like that.

The only parts that are "technically" incompatible anyway are the rubber elements (E85 can be corrosive to aluminum too but I would take my chances with that). As has already been said these same things apply to E10 just at a slower rate of corrosion than E85 and we all already run E10. The factory pumps do not have rubber diaphragms they have plastic impellers so outside of the O-rings their fine. That really just leaves the flexible portion of the hoses and the FPR diaphragm to worry about between the pump and injectors. Bottom line is we don't know what the factory lines are. Looking at Steve's cutaway they could be PTFE already which would make them E85 compatible.

So short answer is yes on paper E85 is more corrosive than E10 and incompatible with whatever rubber is in our fuel systems the same as E10. But in actual application even though the corrosion is faster on E85 than it is on the E10 it is still slow enough for many years of use with no issues. If your that concerned about potential damage then replace the lines with aftermarket PTFE and go with an aftermarket fuel rail setup and regulator at the same time that's good for E85. Any remaining rubber lines that are not in direct constant contact such as in the Evap system or the fill necks should also technically be replaced but I really think your going overboard at that point.

Missing the point of this thread... he doesn't want to replace the fuel lines, it's a 5k mile truck... the qurstion was asked to see IF E85 can be used in a stock fuel system.... knowing the injectors would need to be changed....

Back