Stock cylinder head color

coreyp93

I'v got a set of gt 40 heads that are getting rebuilt and so when there done I want to paint them but I'm not sure what color.So what was the color on stock heads on the 1993 Lightning's,Or were they just the bare cast iron.These are going on the 93 clone Flareside Lightning I've been helping my brother build.Got them on the cheap with a deal at my local pull a part.$75 to get in and everything you could carry was free.

The "Bumpster" will chime in on this one with the correct color code but as far as I know it's a light grey.

Scott

The "Bumpster" will chime in on this one with the correct color code but as far as I know it's a light grey.

Scott

I don't have the Ford paint code but I can for sure tell you that the entirety of the block and heads were Ford grey.

The finish from the factory was exceedingly thin and lame, hence why you can't tell what color an original block and heads were let alone if there was color on them at all.

This photo is not the OE Ford grey. But it is nearly indistinguishable from the OE color. It's Rustoleum Smoke Grey brush on.

Honestly, if you use this stuff, you may likely never need to paint your block and heads again ... it's absolutely wonderful.

Rust-Oleum-7786502-rw-204873-313776.jpg

Last edited:
I know it is not an exact match but i used tempo aviation paint in lycoming gray engine enamel. It is A219 in tempo aviation paint line. Mines been done going on 3 yrs n holding up well.

I sell the stuff so it was easy access and close enuf in color if u r interested i can sell u some n ship it to you.

I know it is not an exact match but i used tempo aviation paint in lycoming gray engine enamel. It is A219 in tempo aviation paint line. Mines been done going on 3 yrs n holding up well.

I sell the stuff so it was easy access and close enuf in color if u r interested i can sell u some n ship it to you.
Thanks for the offer but I think I'll try the Dupli color stuff.I checked and my local parts store has it.

No worries I used it cause I good get it easily. It really is close to what it was and since it is a dd and not a resto I just needed to paint it

Back