Stock 2001 missing when shifting from 4th to 5th

florda_ford

So my lightning has been in my family since 2001 when my dad got it new. For some time now, when it goes to shift from 4th to 5th it misses. You can clearly hear and feel the gears hitting and the car jumps foward but then its as if it goes back between 4th and 5th and it stops accelorating and it does this for up to 10 seconds before it really gets into 5th. We know the problem can be fixed by adding transmission fluid. But the problem is that it is either leaking, or even burning off. We dont ever actually change the trans fluid because when we go to, most of it has burned off or leaked out if not all. I have tried to figure out whats wrong for almost a year now and our mechanic has no idea what the hell is happening. We have taken it to two and neither know whats wrong. If someone could tell me litterally every place and part that it could leak out of as well as tell me if transmission fluid burns off and if so how and why does this happen and what do I need to stop this. My dad and I have tried many many times to spot a leak with no leak spotted. Please help me out im only 15 and my mechanical skills are very limited and my dad has worked on cars and trucks since he was my age and he cant figure it out either. I love this truck more then anything and ANY sort of help no matter how usless you think it may be or how obvius it may be please tell me.

There is no 5th, so I'm guessing you mean 3rd to 4th?

Only a few places trans fluid can leak from, and if it's leaking that much, it should be leaving red puddles and there should be red fluid on the bottom of the truck. Pan gasket, front seal, rear seal, top vent. That's really the only spots it can come from.

And if it's leaking that much, it'll be all over everything on the rearend as well. Axle, exhaust, etc. Wind blowing under the vehicle will blow the mess further back.

And that's correct. If your truck has a 5th, something has been altered.

Maybe. But I can honestly say I have never felt mine lock up. Is it supposed to be something you feel? I have a 07 Mustang with a five speed, never felt that either. And a 98 Ranger with a four speed. Not felt that one either. Not sure what converter lockup is supposed to feel like. I change the fluid and filters on mine somewhat regularly.

You should defiantly feel it lock even with a stock converter. With a good triple disc converter it should lock real firm.

Like I said, can't say I've ever felt it. Nothing firm in any event, nothing that feels like another shift.

Anyhow, I live in Stoplight City USA. And lots of 35.40 and 45 mph speed limits. I turn the OD off in all my vehicles as soon as they are running. Don't turn it on unless I'm north of 45 or 50 mph. Us guys with Gen. IIs have always said to "never put the pedal to the metal in OD, and never let it shift into OD at full throttle." It's an invitation to join the Ventilated Block Club. So I just turn it off from the get-go. My Ranger and Mustang hunt badly between OD and the gear prior to it in low speed environments, especially in hilly areas. Better just to turn it off.

Back