Steering Wheel Info needed

FlaBoy1000

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I visited the site. I have been out of the country.

I have a question about steering wheels. Hopefully one of you Lightning owners can help. Will a steering wheel from a 2003 or 2004 fit a 1999 thru 2002 truck?????:?:?

My 99 steering wheel has deteriorated to the point I need to replace it. The question I have today is "will a 2004 Steering Wheel fit on a 99? I only ask because Ford no longer carries steering wheel replacements for 99 thu 2002. They only carry replacements for 2003 and 2004. They tell me the part number is different for the 2003 and 2004 than 99 thru 2002. The wheel looks the same, but the parts guy can't tell me if it is or is not. :headscratch:

Go on the other site and pm Ride The. He'll know for sure. Sent a pm to Eric. C'Ya

Last edited:
Not 100% sure however I think they will swap over ok. But if you have a buddy with a newer truck maybe you could do a test swap before you plunk down the cashola to snag a new one.

The newer models fit the older trucks and iirc the ford ranger and explorers from those years use the same steering wheels.

As I told you in the PM, you have to make sure the shape of the air-bagis the same also. Eric (Ride The) passed that onto me after I sent him a msg about your problem.:wave:

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I visited the site. I have been out of the country.

I have a question about steering wheels. Hopefully one of you Lightning owners can help. Will a steering wheel from a 2003 or 2004 fit a 1999 thru 2002 truck?????:?:?

My 99 steering wheel has deteriorated to the point I need to replace it. The question I have today is "will a 2004 Steering Wheel fit on a 99? I only ask because Ford no longer carries steering wheel replacements for 99 thu 2002. They only carry replacements for 2003 and 2004. They tell me the part number is different for the 2003 and 2004 than 99 thru 2002. The wheel looks the same, but the parts guy can't tell me if it is or is not. :headscratch:

The Answer Is: The only difference I could find is the upgraded leather. The 03 and 04 have perforated leather. The 99 through 2002 do not. Unless someones knows different, that's it.

How much is the dealer charging and what is the part number if you don't mind. I'm in lakeland also and could use a new steering wheel myself.

How much is the dealer charging and what is the part number if you don't mind. I'm in lakeland also and could use a new steering wheel myself.

I don't know the part number just yet. I had someone else order it for me. I think it's around $400.00 +/-. The guy who ordered it for me gets a small discount. My best advice is to become friends with someone who works for a Ford dealership and let them buy it for you. It will keep you from paying retail.

Another thought is to have yours rebuilt. There are companys out there who will rebuild yours for $369.00 plus shipping. You can find them on the web. If you go with a rebuild, you will be without your wheel for a couple of weeks or more unless you have a spare hanging around.

$400 for a wheel...
Id find a local upholstery shop to recover it.
I was quoted 150 for the one in my 94 in leather...

If I could save almost 300 bones I could live with the perforated one.

$400 for a wheel...
Id find a local upholstery shop to recover it.
I was quoted 150 for the one in my 94 in leather...

If I could save almost 300 bones I could live with the perforated one.

You could try that if you can find someone who could do that and make it look as good as the stock one did when it was new. I couldn't because the material under the leather had broken down. Not something anyone around here could fix.

By the way, what year and color is your L? I may have seen it around town.
On Fridays I take mine down to the Harden Blvd Burger King to a little car show. Stop by and say hi. Mine is a White 99 with a wing and 471 RWHP to help it get to the shows. LOL

You could try that if you can find someone who could do that and make it look as good as the stock one did when it was new. I couldn't because the material under the leather had broken down. Not something anyone around here could fix.

By the way, what year and color is your L? I may have seen it around town.
On Fridays I take mine down to the Harden Blvd Burger King to a little car show. Stop by and say hi. Mine is a White 99 with a wing and 471 RWHP to help it get to the shows. LOL

Mine is a 94 and its Black.
However I am in San Antonio Tx so I doubt it was me.lol.

I work in aviation and I have a connection who does aircraft interiors. Awesome work and I get a decent price.
I had them redo my door panels and headliner in my 85 Mustang and make me a custom leather roll bar padded cover in a color to match my car (blue)

I'll be changing out the steering wheel in my '03 for one with radio and a/c controls. The steering wheel is great, and I just installed brand new cruise control switches a few months ago. As soon as I get my new wheel, I'll have mine available.

I'll be changing out the steering wheel in my '03 for one with radio and a/c controls. The steering wheel is great, and I just installed brand new cruise control switches a few months ago. As soon as I get my new wheel, I'll have mine available.

That's going to be easier said than done....

That's going to be easier said than done....

It really shouldn't be that hard at all. I know this one is a direct swap in:
138.jpg

(This one is already on a Lightning)

It will do the job, but my first choice wheel is a '07-'09 Navigator wheel:
2007Navigator3.jpg

This one just looks much nicer, but I don't know much about how it would mate up.

That reminds me - I need to PM you about the heated seats in the '99 Navi seats I added to my Lightning. They don't work, and I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot it. I'll send you a PM either later today or tomorrow.

It really shouldn't be that hard at all. I know this one is a direct swap in:
138.jpg

(This one is already on a Lightning)

It will do the job, but my first choice wheel is a '07-'09 Navigator wheel:
2007Navigator3.jpg

This one just looks much nicer, but I don't know much about how it would mate up.

That reminds me - I need to PM you about the heated seats in the '99 Navi seats I added to my Lightning. They don't work, and I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot it. I'll send you a PM either later today or tomorrow.

But how do you plan on hooking up steering wheel a/c controls to a manually operated a/c?

Back