Steering Gear Box Replacement

FMOS Racing

PSI=:-D
I Support the NLOC
I'm tired of the 2 inches of steering wheel slop in the white truck. I've put about a turn on the gear lash adjustment screw and it's only a slight improvement. It needs a new power steering gear box. What're the thoughts on the ball bearing rebuilds, Red-Head, Blue Top, etc? Are they worth it over a Motorcraft reman'ed? Over a Duralast reman'ed?

I have no experience with anything other than the OEM parts. It looks like the box on the truck is remanufactured already.

Unless you push the truck hard in the corners to the extent that you've got to worry about steering gear temp I wouldn't bother with the high end boxes.

I'm tired of the 2 inches of steering wheel slop in the white truck. I've put about a turn on the gear lash adjustment screw and it's only a slight improvement. It needs a new power steering gear box. What're the thoughts on the ball bearing rebuilds, Red-Head, Blue Top, etc? Are they worth it over a Motorcraft reman'ed? Over a Duralast reman'ed?

I have no experience with anything other than the OEM parts. It looks like the box on the truck is remanufactured already.
I have the same slop. I replaced my entire front end a few years ago and my steering box is the only thing left. I have gotten use to it though.

I replaced all the rod ends, ball joints, etc with XJR stuff when I got the truck. With the truck off and the key in "run," the steering can be rocked and you can see how far the steering shaft will rotate without and resistance in the gearbox.

Cherie drove the truck a couple of weeks ago and when she got home, the first thing she said was, "I can't believe you drive that every day."

So, I ordered a Blue Top setup.

very interested in your thoughts when you get and get it installed. My L is pretty good but my superduty could use one and their pricing seems pretty reasonable.

I traded a pile of steering gear cores for 3 Blue Tops. I still haven't installed 2 of them & I didn't get the one truck I did install one in up & running last summer. I dropped them off right at their facility & visited with the owner for a little while. Very nice guy & very nice shop. I really need to get the one installed in my '06 F-350 but I'm not sure which one of my other 4 trucks should get the other one.

I ended up with a Blue Top. Very nice improvement, but our trucks still have really lousy on-center feel.

Back