Stan, need to pick your brain

Sloe Truk

AuToX/CLOC MoDr8r
Stan, I plan on pulling the bed off this winter to do some work, which includes: C-notch, possibly fuel tank, and relocating the shock mounts.

The shock mounts I was just thinking about making them symmetrical, both swept towards the rear. On that though, will this induce any poorer handling than usual?

another notion I had might be to add coil-over shocks, in addition to the leafs. What adverse affects would arise if I ran these vertically instead of diagonally, besides less travel? Possible 4 instead of 2 as well. It depends on what I can find within my budget.

Thanx
Bryan

The reason the shocks are staggered is to use the apposing forces ie.compression on one shock and rebound on the other.they do that since the shocks are not a 50 50 valved.
As for the coilovers I don't quite understand?Do you mean 4 shocks?Stan

OK if you run just a mono leaf and coil overs.you will need to use a bar of some sort to hold the rear axle under the truck.Since the spring now will deflect ALOT more.Also with the spring rates out there for coil overs you really only need to run 2 instead of 4.I have seen rates over 1000 on a 2.5 coil over.Also it is alot easier to tune 2 shock instead of 4.The shocks will not last a slong as four but over a period of time that even will even out.
And if you are thinking the track bar[panhard] will work with your new set up that I sell it won't it is not strong enough to take the abuse and will shear the diff bolts.STan

Cool info on the spring rates. I found a set of perches. I also found some QA1 coil overs. IT seems I have sub $1000 options. Once I get the axle where i want it I'll do some more chiphering. I was already thinking about the pan-hard bar location. I was going to weld a sleeve or something on the axle tube. I was also going lengthen and lower the pan hard anyway. If I go any lower then I am now I send the diff mount throught the bed.

Can you wind 2.5" springs?

I plan on reusing the Hiem joints from you bar. ANy thoughts as to ideal length of the bar? Preferences to which side of the frame to mount it too?

Thanx
Bryan

Stan, I found some AFCO tubes and perches, your thoughts on these?

afc-20125a-7k_w.jpg

What length tube and spring would you recommend for covering a shock, given the Hotchis Leafs and 2" shackles. I might go lower but this is just a starting point for the math that will ensue.

Also what are your thoughts on using these on the fronts, now that you have seen 1000 lb/in springs.

Thanx
Bryan

I would not use slip on coil over tube.I have and if you need to make any ride adjustments and you don't have ALL the weight off of the shock the tube will spin with the adj nut.As for the bar as long and low as possible is best.The rod ends that I use are strong enough but you will need to use a swaded steel tube if you go longer that 28 inches.Also I did think about using a coil over set up for the front and I have not ruled it out yet but not in stock mounting form to much psi on the upper mount system.This winter I plan on doing some things to the truck other than just the motor and making the ride height adjustable was one of the plans.Stan

Back