spark plugs

C

clay

My newly purchased L 93 has a set of motorcraft awsf32p plugs in it. I know the P is a designation for platinum. Has any one else run these plugs? What were the results? My truck has a surge/slight hesitation at cruising/constant speeds. I have run mustangs for awhile and I have never run any of these plugs. The wires look great but I should probably do a resistance test on them.
Thanks!!

------------------
1993 COBRA-TEAL
1993 LIGHTNING-RED
SVT ROCKS!!

Alot of guys on here have told me not to use the platinum plugs because they are not as good a copper.But I did run my best times ever with the P plugs.The Ps should last a long time.
I dont know if the wires would give you a surge our not maybe someone else will let you know.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
NLOC#495
TeamPowerdyne

Hey Guys,

I have recently put in s set of Bosch Platinum + 4's in my truck, and I now have a very rough idle. It even sounds like it has a miss while idleing. It doesnt seem to under throttle, but these plugs are coming out anyways. Just wanted to clue you guys in on this before you waste $5.99 per plug like I did.

Tommy

i have had the motorcraft platinums on my truck for about a month and i think they have been great no complaints at all...JORGE

------------------
Jorge R.
1995 lightning black #56
produced: 12/20/94

just as a few of the other guy's have said. i have had them in my truck since wfc and haven't have any problems. it is the plug that ford say's to use for stock replacment. so can't be all that bad motorcraft stop making the awsf32's and replaced them with the p's. just my 2 cents.

------------------
Five0 Drw
nolc# 354
#63 "n" 95

[This message has been edited by five0drw (edited 06-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by five0drw (edited 06-22-2000).]

MY FIRST SET OF PLUGS WERE A SET OF SPLITFIRES.I LIKED EM. RAN REALLY STRONG OVER THE STOCK FOMOCO.GOT 40K OUT OF EM. CHANGED THIS SPRING TO AUTOLITE DOUBLE PLATS. SEEM LIKE THEIR O.K. GONNA TRY SPLITFIRE TRIPLE PLATS. NEXT. THOUGHT ABOUT TORQUEMASTERS BUT DAMMM!!!

------------------

Food for thought..Fords typically don't like platinum plugs. The platinum plug was introduced to extend service intervals as the platinum actually resists carbon buildup (a self-cleaning plug if you will). P's are really meant for use in vehicles with weak ignition systems and I have yet to see a platinum plug give any performance advantage.

The stock plug for a 93-95 truck should be an AWSF32C and are available at your Ford dealer and most auto parts outlets. I just replaced the ones in mine tonite.

------------------
Kyle Kent
House of Speed
"Make power...not excuses"

FWIW, I'm with Kyle. The only advantage a platinum plug has over copper is that it lasts so much longer - good for cramped engine compartments.

As Kyle said, they run CLEANER than copper and that's because they also run hotter. This is a big negative in a performance engine because it promotes pre-ignition. Even more so when a power-adder is in use.

Platinum doesn't conduct as well as copper either so the spark quality isn't as good.

Frankly, it has no redeeming characteristics for performance applications, especially where the plugs are as simple to change as they are on a Lightning (as compared to say an LT1 F-body).

Where you run into anecdotal issues is people change their plugs from brand/type X to brand/type Y and WOW that truck sure runs better now! Well, I'd hope so if you replaced a plug with 50K miles on it. You could probably replace the plugs with a cork with a nail through it and have it run better, too!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
(IT'S A JOKE!!!)

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

wish I would have read this yesterday... I just bought my platinum +4s and they give my truck more power but seem to give it a rough Idle like the other guy said. oh well we will see what happens.

Back