Spal Brushless Fan Install

Jamie V

I figured some guys might like some of this information so I’ll share my latest mod (and one of my top 5 favorites)

I have been running a Mark VIII fan in my truck for a while and with the new PiMPxshift I’ve been struggling with the rpm dropping significantly when I turn the AC on (which turns the Fan on). The Mark VIII fan will draw about 70amps on startup then settle in to around 30-32amps continuous. I purchased this real nice solid state relay that I had planned to install so I could control the Mark VIII fan with PWM (pulse width modulation) from the PiMPxshift. Jeff has his fan currently controlled via PWM from his PiMP.

Before I got a chance to install the new SSR Tommy had came over and was telling me about these new brushless fans from Spal. I started looking into them and even called one of the engineers from Spal to talk about the features of it. After learning that the fans can be controlled directly with PWM and have a built in soft start I decided to go this direction.

I ordered the fan from wizard cooling (one of their dealers) and started planning the install. I ran my Mark VIII fan inside my stock fan shroud and I wanted to do the same with the new Spal. I came up with a plan of using a piece of aluminum to fill in the void between the shroud and the fan.

1d5de4fb31fe311beedd513bf88cfcca.jpg

Then while I was trying to figure out how I was going to attach the aluminum to the plastic shroud I came up with the idea of making the filler piece from a piece of 1/2” thick polypropylene (which is what the factory shroud is made from)

c64d2e2e1dc5fedf6f4c076d6b711554.jpg

I used the aluminum as a template and routed the plastic out into the proper shape.

daab558e09ef1563926266986a373a27.jpg

I attached the fan to the plastic with some bolts and predrilled the edges of the plastic and screwed the shroud to it.

079e0d764923b64d20d85bfbaf1323cc.jpg

Got it installed in the truck and it fits like a glove.

b8367aa17c592edb6d134732de5a93aa.jpg

Powered it up and it’s night and day without even messing with the PWM

https://youtu.be/yc-EYosyGwc

I got to take it for a drive Thursday and it worked like a champ!

So just to be clear you’re powering it up via the SSR from the Megasquirt? But no PWM, the MS is just on-off right? That way you retain AC, speed, TPS, and other Megasquirt fan control?

So just to be clear you’re powering it up via the SSR from the Megasquirt? But no PWM, the MS is just on-off right? That way you retain AC, speed, TPS, and other Megasquirt fan control?

No SSR Raymond. The megasquirt turns it on and off. I had to install a relay to kill the power to the fan when the key is off though because the megasquirt trigger goes to ground with the key off.

Me like!!! Nothing better than the stock fan shroud for cooling. Gotta pull air through them corners!! 👍. How bout sendinding a filler piece my way and part # for that fan. 😂.

You guys and your abbreviations. SSR, PWM, SS EIEIO... Lazy text messages
.... no idea what your are talking about...Care to type it out for us old coots?

Does Pulse Width Modulation and Solid State Relay really make it any more clear?? ;)

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is a method for controlling the speed of solenoids and motors. The Idle Air Control valve on a stock truck works through PWM controlling how far the valve opens.

A Solid State Relay (SSR) is a relay with no moving parts. Most of the little, square, black automotive relays have a coil and a mechanical switch in them, so they move relatively slowly. The SSR makes it possible to work with the fast PWM (Hertz) speed - the relay switches dozens or hundreds of times per second - to run something like a fan or fuel pump at an average voltage of less than 12-14.

Have you done an amp reading to compare?

You saw the video with the amp draw of the brushless fan in my first post I assume.

The Mark VIII draws about the same once it is up and running but it spikes to about 70amps on startup.

My original plan was to use a SSR (solid-state relay) and control it via PWM (pulse width modulation) from my PiMPxshift ECU (Engine control unit) I even bought a very nice 70 amp SSR (solid-state relay) but I never installed it. I’m actually going to be selling my Mark VIII fan that is mounted in a stock fan shroud and my SSR (solid-state relay) that I have extra now.

Jamie,

It's nice to see something new on our trucks, great job. Do you have any detailed pictures of the Mk VIII fan installed in the factory shroud?

Thanks,
James

Does Pulse Width Modulation and Solid State Relay really make it any more clear?? ;)

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is a method for controlling the speed of solenoids and motors. The Idle Air Control valve on a stock truck works through PWM controlling how far the valve opens.

A Solid State Relay (SSR) is a relay with no moving parts. Most of the little, square, black automotive relays have a coil and a mechanical switch in them, so they move relatively slowly. The SSR makes it possible to work with the fast PWM (Hertz) speed - the relay switches dozens or hundreds of times per second - to run something like a fan or fuel pump at an average voltage of less than 12-14.

Thank you, Jeff I understand the stuff, just needed abbreviations translated.

Very nice. I appreciate the info in this thread. I am gonna be digging my shroud out of my storage space soon and possibly use a idea or 2 from here. :thumbup:

I have a T-Bird e-fan currently installed with Ed's controller. I would like to have a fan shroud that completely covers the radiator. I have a new '93 Stang fan blade/clutch that I thought about installing with the factory shroud.

Back