smog pump eliminator

Thanks, I had the eliminator bracket on mine but always though u could just skip it, maybe with a brand new tensioner it would keep the belt on?

I think it's just one of the those hit and miss things ... some guys have had the problem, some haven't.

I'm personally one of those "if ain't broke don't fix it" types, so if having a pulley in that spot works, why take it away?

i ran mine without a pulley for a couple months. the belt never came off, but it would slip and squeal on every start up and any time it was wet, and sometimes when i turned, and sometimes just cuz it felt like it. no matter how tight the belt was.

I removed the smog pump on my red L and just used a short belt. It has never thrown the belt but I have had belt squealing issues off and on ever since. Not horribly bad just slightly annoying. I am going to use an eliminator pulley when I pull the pump off my black one.

Thanks guys so putting a pulley back in its place is a good idea

Yep Dan it's a good idea. As Ron said, searchinb back through the years you'll find that have no issue and some that do. For not a lot of money you just won't have that problem using one of the many eliminator brackets available. It's kinda like pick the style you like best and bolt it on !

Scott

Someone needs to come up with a nice billet aluminum bracket that mounts where the smog pump goes and holds a nice vacuum pump like a moroso with a 6rib pulley.

If guys could just bolt up a moroso vacuum pump and put the stock belt right around it it could take care of so much oil control issues on blown trucks!

Someone needs to come up with a nice billet aluminum bracket that mounts where the smog pump goes and holds a nice vacuum pump like a moroso with a 6rib pulley.

If guys could just bolt up a moroso vacuum pump and put the stock belt right around it it could take care of so much oil control issues on blown trucks!

Some body did this, I forgot who... Maybe tdog? Got me thinking now...

Where the hell is Wayne when you need him?

Geez ... Chip turned a street racer into a dune buggy in 4 hours. He most assuredly can duct tape a drool bucket onto a whirligig in about 15 minutes. Don't you think?

Last edited:
I had belt slip bad. My smog pump had locked up on the weekend and I needed the truck. I gutted the pump and went to the parts store to find a bearing to replace the one that froze up in the pump. Now I have the look that the pump is functional but it acts as a eliminator pulley.

Back