Sloppy shift lever?Easy Fix

Comet Man

H Grant
About 3 months ago my 94 F150s shift lever became very loose.I. had to wiggle it around to get into the right gears and would not go into low.I had to be very careful to be sure to get it into park.I figured that I would have to replace a bushing in it.Wrong,After dealing with the problem and putting it off for months I finally stopped by the Ford dealership and asked a friend of mine what parts I needed.He said none,Just tighten the 2 torx head bolts on the bottom of the shift tube that holds the shift arm in place.It is right above the pedals in plain sight. In less than a minute the problem was fixed.Apparently these are bad to work loose.After fixing mine I fixed my Dads 96 model.Maybe one of you guys are having the same problem,I just wanted to pass on the info.Later,Heath

Look up under your dash,Move your shift lever and you will see what I am talking about.All 92-96s should be the same ,other years may be different.

Can you post a picture please? I think I have found what you are talking about, but there are 3 torx screws correct?

What year is your truck?Mine had 2 torx bolts.One end of it should have the shift cable attached.I will try to get a pic this weekend,but you should be able to tell by moving the shift lever.If the torx bolts are not backed out ,this is not your problem.

Here is a picture of the bracket,notice the 2 torx bolts .These are the ones that will work thier way loose.The opposite end attaches to the shift cable.
000_1451.jpg

I was just trying to figure this out last night! I'll have to try it tonight, my shifter went from brand new to awful in about a year, so I bet that's it. Maybe some locktite too?

bushings

I also see alot with the tube bushings out. and the Shift tubes are prone to breaking. Its not bad to do. Just drop the column down and there are 2 clamps with torx bolts on them. half the time the clamps are broke. replace the bushings and that will tighten things up to. and the bushings are cheap.

Back