should I swap my 351w for a gen 1 or gen 2 coyote or rebuild?

haden

Gen 1 owner
im 17 and inherited my grandfathers gen 1 lightning, I've been in love with the truck since day 1. over the years I got her looking pretty good on the outside, but its come time where I wanna get some more hp out of her. just looking for advice on what I should do m moving forward??

im 17 and inherited my grandfathers gen 1 lightning, I've been in love with the truck since day 1. over the years I got her looking pretty good on the outside, but its come time where I wanna get some more hp out of her. just looking for advice on what I should do m moving forward??
I own both on e85 my 14 f150 can keep up with my mildy built 351 in the Lightning. And the 14 is a crew cab if that tells you anything. But that said a 351 can be built to handle a lot more than where its at. And cheaper too. But the coyote has a lot of potential and I get about double the gas mileage with it. (Both trucks are close in weight). You will spend more on the coyote but it definitely has the edge. I wouldnt waste time in swapping a gen 1 in the gen 2 is superior in many ways. Can handle 700hp stock and has several upgrades and improvements over the gen 1. The gen 1s also have issue with warping cylinder walls and dropping compression randomly in the back cylinders. I love my 14 but id be scared to push any real power with it. Some people have but I can link at least 3 threads from other groups from the last 2 weeks with first gen coyotes getting new motors at just over 100k miles.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Slap a blower on it with the appropriate tune and go have fun.
Sa your other thread stating it has 90k
My 94 was at 400k when I pulled and rebuilt it only cause transmission crapped out so I figured it was smart to do both. Should have left the motor alone it was in incredibly good condition when torn down and running wise it was fine IOW dont waste money rebuilding a motor that with proper maintenance will run several hundred thousand miles. And I imagine gramps took decent care of the ol girl.

Ph and since your 17 take some time and do some online reading/research in to the gen1 L. After doing so I think you will see the value in NOT hacking it up and modding to the extreme it cant be undone back to stock.

Very few built in the three yrs.
Even fewer complete good ones left.
I often wish I had not sold mine for a G2. The G2 is much faster but the G1s are much more desirable and imo unique.

Good luck and no matter what enjoy what gramps left ya and take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the appeal of the Coyote, and have seen a few nice swaps in F-150s. But... If the motor has issues I'd rebuild the stock engine with some minor upgrades like cam and a decent set of heads. Then bolt on a blower or turbo and you'll have struck you can fairly easily put back to stock and will be faster than the Coyote. Trust me, I've learned my lesson from years of bad decisions.

Haden, do you live in Brentwood California? I met a guy at car show here sounds just like you. He inherited his grandfather's White Lightning also.

Roy

Back