Shifting question

Tex Arcana

What do y'all do on the track with regards to shifting? Do you let the tranny do the choosing, or do you wrk the selector and choose your gear? Or do you have some super-sekrit electronin method to shift on the fly--I would think that, since our tranniesa re electronic, one could set up a pair of switches to shift-on-command.

THanks in advance.

I mostly let is stay in drive and toggled OD on and off when needed, though different tracks require different driving styles. At VIR South course there are the Downhill esses, quick, off camber, down hill esses. Very fun, but for me to take them with confidence, I was pulling down in to second where i could maintain a quick pace but without jumping into third which would have been too fast and since south course is so hard on brakes, it was an area I could cool them off by using engine braking ILO pedal braking.

You really shouldn't pull down but you really shouldn't track a truck either. I never had any tranny woes other tahn frying the fluid once or twice on my favorite course. 11 miles AutoX, 318 curves, very sweet but not uber fast ~70mph was about all you really needed, there was only two spot where I would pop into third for about 300yds or so, but right back into second, where I could use engine brake and not out speed the corners too much. I know it sounds like a wussie driving but trust me, I mode more people puke than anyone else on that course.

Bryan

Sloe Truk said:
I mostly let is stay in drive and toggled OD on and off when needed, though different tracks require different driving styles. At VIR South course there are the Downhill esses, quick, off camber, down hill esses. Very fun, but for me to take them with confidence, I was pulling down in to second where i could maintain a quick pace but without jumping into third which would have been too fast and since south course is so hard on brakes, it was an area I could cool them off by using engine braking ILO pedal braking.

You really shouldn't pull down but you really shouldn't track a truck either. I never had any tranny woes other tahn frying the fluid once or twice on my favorite course. 11 miles AutoX, 318 curves, very sweet but not uber fast ~70mph was about all you really needed, there was only two spot where I would pop into third for about 300yds or so, but right back into second, where I could use engine brake and not out speed the corners too much. I know it sounds like a wussie driving but trust me, I mode more people puke than anyone else on that course.

Bryan

When I a-x, I launch in second, and leave it there with o/d off, and I do fine, top off at bout 75 in second, so it's fine for that.

The course I will be running has a very tight section that absolutely requires second to negotiate quickly and to get a good launch out of the last part to set up for the turn opening onto the backstraight; after that, 3rd is more than fine for the rest of the course.

I just make sure that I'm well below the top end off 2nd before I shift down. common sense stuff. Be warned it is harder on the tranny but I'm sure you know that.

Bryan

Sloe Truk said:
I just make sure that I'm well below the top end off 2nd before I shift down. common sense stuff. Be warned it is harder on the tranny but I'm sure you know that.

Bryan

Yah, but it should be able to take it, especially for a truck with a stock motor with only a tune on it. Also, all this talk about there being a 2nd-gear band has me confused: there's no bands in this tranny, how can it be a problem?

Either way, I'll be thinking about this... maybe drop to second just before the turn itself, when I'm as slow as I'm going to go.

Which ever way you do decide to go make sure that it stays in the gear you chose before the turn otherwise it WILL upset the truck when it changes gears in the middle of the turn.I downshift manually when i OTthat way I can go wot sooner coming out of the turn and don't have to worry about it kicking down another gear.Stan

Ruslow said:
Which ever way you do decide to go make sure that it stays in the gear you chose before the turn otherwise it WILL upset the truck when it changes gears in the middle of the turn.I downshift manually when i OTthat way I can go wot sooner coming out of the turn and don't have to worry about it kicking down another gear.Stan

+1 definately get in to what ever gear you need to be in before the turn. upshifting in mid turn can be dealt with a lot easier than down shifting mid turn. It really ticks off the suspension.

Bryan

Another thing to consider is that the trans achieves 2nd gear differently when selected manually than it does when selected electronically by the PCM. I don't remember the specifics, but it is significantly weaker when 2nd gear is selected manually. I think you could probably find out exactly why in the Factory Tech forum.

oilwell1415 said:
Another thing to consider is that the trans achieves 2nd gear differently when selected manually than it does when selected electronically by the PCM. I don't remember the specifics, but it is significantly weaker when 2nd gear is selected manually. I think you could probably find out exactly why in the Factory Tech forum.

I had heard the same thing, that there's a second-gear band; but I've looked at a diagram of our trannies, and talked to local techs, and they look at me like I"m insane when I saiy something about the band... so I figure that's bunk.

I didn't have any trouble finding an intermediate band in the diagram. I don't remember that being the issue, but if Factory Tech says that's how it is then that's how it is.

oilwell1415 said:
I didn't have any trouble finding an intermediate band in the diagram. I don't remember that being the issue, but if Factory Tech says that's how it is then that's how it is.

Do you have access to the diagram? May I see it, please? :D

I do, but I don't know if I can post if up or not. I'll see what I can do. I can tell you that it's item number 56 in the diagram.

Our service software won't let me export the diagram. It won't even let me save it to the computer so I can attach it to an email.

oilwell1415 said:
Our service software won't let me export the diagram. It won't even let me save it to the computer so I can attach it to an email.

Does your system use Windows?? If so, you can hit <crtl><print screen>, then open either Microsoft Picture Editor or Paint, and then hit Edit-Paste to paste the image in.

Back