Seeing everyone's times has me worried.

sloboy302

I was just looking over everyone's times posted and it's got me a little worried. I took my truck to the 1/8th mile track over the weekend, first time it's seen the track since I've owned it and the best I could muster out of it was a 9.01 @ 77.99 with a 2.057 60ft. That pass it didn't spin all that bad, the following passes it spun really bad usually pulling around 2.35 60ft. and around 77 on MPH.

The reason I'm worried is I see guys running 80+ MPH stock and I'm off by 2-3 MPH. I'm looking into getting some sticky tires and trying it again but don't see how that's gonna bring the MPH up.

Some info on the truck it's a '00 Silver and the only thing that I can find modification wise is the Magnaflow catback system. Everything else seems to be stock from what I can tell right down to the air filter. Just wondering if there is anything I should look for, any advise would be appreciated.

P.S. What's a good wheel to go with for a pair of stickies for the back? Bogarts are out of the question since they are too expensive for my wallet at the moment.

i have an 01 and was runing 9.0s when i was stock but my tranny was also shifting slow 1800 later i got that fixed lol

Well I've taken the truck to the track again since my last post and the MPH has gone up a bit since first time. This time around I managed a 9.11 @ 79.09so it's up 2MPH from last time. Don't know if this had anything to do with it or not but the first time at the track it did have an exhaust leak from the manifolds so I fixed that myself with some new gaskets.

Slight rant here, if you've never done a header gasket change on a Lightning before let me tell you they are a pain, especially the drivers side with that darn EGR connection and getting to the nuts to disconnect/reconnect the Y-pipe are not the easiest things to get to. Talk about frustrating on the little things, I've worked on Mustangs and other cars for years and have never had this much frustration on just a header gasket change.

Sorry for getting on a rant there, but looks like fixing the leak helped with some power, I'll be going to the track again this weekend. Before I do I'll be doing a boost bypass and already switched over to synthetic fluids so we'll see what she nets this time around. I'm trying to get the most out of it on the radials but I'm more than likely gonna need to step up to some sticky tires since the best 60ft time I've gotten is a 1.96, but mostly in the 2.10's. I'll give an update after this weekend. :eek:ldtu:

What are your mods? The 99-00 L's were only rated at 360hp compared to 01+ at 380hp. Unless you've upgraded to at least a 90mm maf and revised IC that could be the root of your issue.

yeah dude your in a 00L your fine, because most of the 01 and up run between 8.6 to 9.0 unless there truck is hurt. My 03L ran 8.71 completely stock. If anything your during pretty good, concidering you have a 80mm maf and stock get some sticky tires and you will be in the 8s

I just ran my 03, I'm a little disappointed in my times. My 60ft's killed me. My best run was 2.207 60, 9.025 @ 80.21 mph. The highest I trapped was 80.5. I thought I'd be in the high 8's this evening but just two 9.0 passes out of the ten I did. My first pass ever was a 9.0 and I was running 41 PSI on the stock F1's in the back. The other 9.0 was at 23 PSI. I guess I should have tried an idle launch. All of my launches were around 1200-1500 rpm.

Just slightly irritated at my 60's. There was another Lightning with Nitto 555's. He was supposedly putting down 400 at the wheels and I think his best 60 was a 2.1. I'd like to think it was the track but I'm pretty sure I just suck.

My mods: valve body, lower control arms, rear shackles and hard tonneau cover.

im not being a smart butt whats the point of running at a 1/8 mile track? i thought thats where the ricers run? just curious. :blink:

im not being a smart butt whats the point of running at a 1/8 mile track? i thought thats where the ricers run? just curious. :blink:

Considering that after the launch and the 60 foot you are just along for the ride 1/8th mile is just as useful as 1/4 mile

Edit - PS - Please consider shrinking your signature picture. If not for me then to comply with the standards.

I wanted to practices my launches before I head up to a proper quarter mile track. In San Diego, the nearest quarter mile track is about 110 miles away. Some of these "ricers" were pretty quick. You could generally tell which ones were the slow ones and which ones were the fast ones. The crappier, more beat-up they looked, the more likelier they'd be fast.

First run out of the night I lined up with a little Toyota pickup that was all setup for desert off-road but had slicks in the rear. Even though he red-lighted, he still put two car lengths on me at the 60 but didn't gain much after to the end. Turns out the Toyota had an LS2 :). He ran a 2.08 60, 8.72 at 81.08 mph.

oh ok, i was just curious about that, cause 95 percent of the time when pple talk about american muscle they ask "what does it do in the 1/4 mile?" not sure if theres any 1/8 mile tracks around me. never botherd to look either though lol.

Don't know if you guys know this or not, but drag racing was started on 1/8th mile tracks. @ home in NC... nearly everyone starts @ their nearest 1/8th mile track. Most never even bother moving to the 1/4. I mean... Change to a set of 500+ gears... and your set for a darn quick 1/8th pass.
Like stated before, it's just a ride after the launch and the tires bite.

ibismojo,

what track are you running @ qualcom, barona? I wanna run my truck in the next week or two, pm me next time you go!

1/8th mile also helps because its less wear and tear on the truck. You're only going half the distance. Like stated before, the most important things are your launch and 60' so you can still hang on for the ride after that but it doesn't put so much stress on your truck.

Back