Rt. 66 was Awesome !!

Copperhead

Keith Blackburn
It was a long ride for me driving up solo from KY w/ race truck in tow, but it was deffinitely worth the trip. Between Hooters, all the beer drinking and picking up all the new "posters" for my garage (Bobby & Keith C. know what I'm talking about ;)), it was awesome. Just got to get use to the new Trans-Brake button and quit cutting red lights. :ashamed:

But on a positive note, I did run a personal best this past weekend,..... BUT, I would've deffinitely had a 9 second time slip if I hadn't stood on the brakes in the first round of eliminations to try to keep from breaking out. Went a 10.039 on a 10.06 dial , trapping only 127. On ET's like that, I normally run better than 134. Oh well,...... Live to fight another day. :sigh:

I got home @ 3am Monday and I was exhausted :yawn:,....... BUT, I had a great time. Got to meet a few new people as well as hanging with a lot of my Lighting buds.

I'll just have to remember not to let Ross drive my tow truck again,........especially if there's a couple of South of the Border dudes in the right lane driving a Gen II L with lawn-care service decal on the door,......with their windows down. J/K
That was fricken hillarious. :laughing6:

I didn't get a chance to take very many pictures due to competing in the race, so I hope some of you other guys took lots of pics.

I'm going to try my best to make the NMRA race at BG in October, so I hope to see some of you guys in a couple of months.

:clinkmugs

:eek:ldtu:

It was a long ride for me driving up solo from KY w/ race truck in tow, but it was deffinitely worth the trip. Between Hooters, all the beer drinking and picking up all the new "posters" for my garage (Bobby & Keith C. know what I'm talking about ;)), it was awesome. Just got to get use to the new Trans-Brake button and quit cutting red lights. :ashamed:

But on a positive note, I did run a personal best this past weekend,..... BUT, I would've deffinitely had a 9 second time slip if I hadn't stood on the brakes in the first round of eliminations to try to keep from breaking out. Went a 10.039 on a 10.06 dial , trapping only 127. On ET's like that, I normally run better than 134. Oh well,...... Live to fight another day. :sigh:

I got home @ 3am Monday and I was exhausted :yawn:,....... BUT, I had a great time. Got to meet a few new people as well as hanging with a lot of my Lighting buds.

I'll just have to remember not to let Ross drive my tow truck again,........especially if there's a couple of South of the Border dudes in the right lane driving a Gen II L with lawn-care service decal on the door,......with their windows down. J/K
That was fricken hillarious. :laughing6:

I didn't get a chance to take very many pictures due to competing in the race, so I hope some of you other guys took lots of pics.

I'm going to try my best to make the NMRA race at BG in October, so I hope to see some of you guys in a couple of months.

driving behind the tow rig was one of the best parts,lol

I bet they all were :? :didimiss: :flamed::scared1:

picking up all the new "posters" for my garage (Bobby & Keith C. know what I'm talking about ;)), it was awesome.

So Keith, would those "posters" be the nice "banners" from the fences or is it something else that could get ya locked up for years? I know we got about 11 banners and some of the no-name/not cool ones we took just for laying on when you're workin on the truck in the grass:eek:ldtu:

Just got to get use to the new Trans-Brake button and quit cutting red lights. :ashamed:

I'll agree with ya on that one. Just like you told me tho, "Welcome to the redlight club!!"

I think you should've just thrown about a 9.80 dial on the truck and sprayed a 150 shot from the transbrake release to the end. Probably would've broke out tho, with something like a 9.65!!!!:D

I'm hoping that tonight I can get the rest of the pics and videos uploaded and I'll start another Joliet pics thread. The vid from the burnout box of you launching in the first round of elims is pretty sweet. Hopefully people post up their pics of all of us.

It was a great time meeting you finally. I've been talking to you back and forth for a couple years now, so it was nice to put a face on a name. I don't think we'll be able to make the BG race, but we should be down to Joliet again next year with all 3 trucks and hopefully mine isn't homesick and actually performs without any issues. (All ready got the trans issue fixed, just modified the Sonnax servo like what ATI recommends and poof, no more flare or delay.)

So Keith, would those "posters" be the nice "banners" from the fences or is it something else that could get ya locked up for years?

Mmmm,......... Something like that. ;)

I think you should've just thrown about a 9.80 dial on the truck and sprayed a 150 shot from the transbrake release to the end. Probably would've broke out tho, with something like a 9.65!!!!:D

Believe me,....the thought deffinitely crossed my mind.
I'm pretty confident the 100 shot would have put it into the 9.7 - 9.8 range @ 140 or so.

I was SO CLOSE to that 9 sec pass. I wouldn't have been nearly as bummed out if a 9.___ would have been printed on my time slip.

I'm hoping that tonight I can get the rest of the pics and videos uploaded and I'll start another Joliet pics thread. The vid from the burnout box of you launching in the first round of elims is pretty sweet.

Cool,...... I can't wait to see that.

It was a great time meeting you finally. I've been talking to you back and forth for a couple years now, so it was nice to put a face on a name.

Same here Dustin. It was good talking to you. Hopefully we'll meet again next year and see if we can send our trucks down the line together and have 9's printed on both sides of the time slip. :D

All ready got the trans issue fixed, just modified the Sonnax servo like what ATI recommends and poof, no more flare or delay.)

That good to hear. It's always frustrating when you travel hundreds of miles to a race and problems rear their ugly head at worst possible time.

Last edited:
I also had a great time. It was nice meeting you guys and I'm looking foward to the next one!

PS-Don't forget about the several people riding bikes who got a taste of the black smoke too lol:D

This is off the NMRADigital site:
"Detroit Locker Truck and Lightning had its largest class to date, with 27 trucks competing for the gold. Rick Devito took his Falcon Ranchero to the final round after defeating some stiff competition. On the other side of the ladder, ’08 Champ Mike Motycka did the deed and beat out Dave Cole in the semifinal to meet up with Devito. The final round saw Motycka go red at the hit, giving Devito his first-ever Truck and Lightning win."

I don't think we'll be able to make the BG race

I already booked my hotel room for friday, saturday, and sunday nights. I won't have the truck (unless someone in my family hits the lottery) but I hope both of you guys (along with Ray, Ross, and a bunch of others) can make it.

I already booked my hotel room for friday, saturday, and sunday nights. I won't have the truck (unless someone in my family hits the lottery) but I hope both of you guys (along with Ray, Ross, and a bunch of others) can make it.

I already put in for the time off request @ work and I am talking with Willy and a "mysterious" guess about it.....

but I hope both of you guys (along with Ray, Ross, and a bunch of others) can make it.

Oh don't worry Jamie, I'm seriously considering/thinking about going. The biggest deciding factor will be whichever engine is in the truck. If the new one is in, I'd rather not haul it 1900 miles round trip to do some "testing". If the 408 is still in it, I'll be a lot more likely to go. Or, maybe jump in the car and come down too and help out/watch.

Oh don't worry Jamie, I'm seriously considering/thinking about going. The biggest deciding factor will be whichever engine is in the truck. If the new one is in, I'd rather not haul it 1900 miles round trip to do some "testing". If the 408 is still in it, I'll be a lot more likely to go. Or, maybe jump in the car and come down too and help out/watch.

...either way if you and your crew are there then cool!
Save the new engine for the winter months and race that truck!!

Save the new engine for the winter months and race that truck!!

I agree with Ed. Leave the 408 in there and keep fine tuning the trans and chassis. Then over the winter switch the motor and come out fresh. This way you know for sure that you have all the bugs out so when you put the new motor in all you have to tune on is the engine. (besides you can make it to BG that way :eek:ldtu:

Keith, and everyone. Had a great time in Joliet cant wait till we do it again.
Hope we pull off BG this year. I will try. Not sure how I will get off of work just yet someone has vacation already but I will see what I can do.

Was nice to final put soem faces with the people I have been talking to the last year or so.
Bobby

Back