Replacement transmission vs modifying stock E4OD

Kachow

Wow cant believe i stumbled across this site!

Just got a 1993 with 153,000 miles on it. The previous owner mentioned some sloppy and mushy transmission shifts sometimes. At this moment i am not super worried about it because it is not a daily driver and i have not noticed it. Maybe it was just his opinion.

My question A)

Is are any replacement E4OD transmissions any good in your experience? Would clearly prefer an easy swap situation. I have not done much research but did see one through "Monster Transmission"

I know nothing about them or any other aftermarket companies. With the mileage i might just lean to replacing it as opposed to messing around with seeing what the issue is (assuming there is one) and i want a valve body and converter and some other things that might be recommended by you guys anyway.

Anybody have a history or recommendation on possibly a "built" replacement transmission that already has valve body, converter etc in it already.

On the flip side, Question B)

is if it is something "simple" and i keep the original transmission what else would you guys recommend doing to the transmission. I have read around that the converter and valve body can really pep it up a bit.

I should have mentioned earlier in post its stock for the most part and intend to keep it that way other than some pepping up its step with the transmission modifications.

Thanks for reading

BTS and A1 build great trans. I myself love the E4OD/4R100, a well built one will holds ton of power and last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X3 on vb. And I put a punisher vb into a 350k unrebuilt trans that would barely shift under wot and it brought it right back to life. And I dumped the old fluid back in and only added what I lost. True story lol

I think maybe i have been convinced by guys to get the punisher valve body. Has anyone posted a how to thread or video online or just basically follow the directions that the kit states it comes with? Anybody have any tips or problems they ran in to when do it on there truck?

As far as a converter goes i am just a person who wants my fun truck to be a bit more fun so i have no clue how to pick a converter. I see single disk or multi disk?? I see stall speeds?? Like i mentioned before it is stock for the most part and plan to keep it that way aside from these modifications.

Is there a particular brand or link you can maybe recommend for me to look at and choose? Like ones you or multiple people have used and liked Like i said i know nothing about those options they are asking for i just want some fun :tu

What a fun community this looks like!

I actually just got some very close to the same price quotes on PI and Circle D coverter. Now i just need to decide which one to go with

I actually just got some very close to the same price quotes on PI and Circle D coverter. Now i just need to decide which one to go with

FWIW: I currently have a PI and while it's been fine,it took 3 times sending it back to get the stall speed right,and it has a lot of slip on the big end of the track, around 18%. That could be helping me,maybe. When/if I look into another TC,I'll be trying Circle D.

FWIW: I currently have a PI and while it's been fine,it took 3 times sending it back to get the stall speed right,and it has a lot of slip on the big end of the track, around 18%. That could be helping me,maybe. When/if I look into another TC,I'll be trying Circle D.

How do you have 18% slip if the converter is locked?

I like pi and circle d

But look around

Most records of mustangs and trucks
Aka coyote powered

I see alot of Silverado trucks also

Holding records with circle d convertors.

I personally run a circle d and chris sehorn and company have been great to me

I've purchased around 6 converters from them for me and my friends

Which my work truck daily driver has a precision industries billet convertor. Aka duramax it stays loaded heavy.

Zero complaints on it

When had allison trans redone by chris Garrett
He sent my convertor in. They made it new again very reasonable it was 5 years old at that time and they treated me like I got it within a year

So as u see I'm torn

I truly believe u cant go wrong with either.

Yes there is alot of good convertor peeps outside of L world

But I dont see those in the L world
Aka ptc
And others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Isn't locked.

Why?

Gregg said his Circle D converter was slipping also and after talking to him his wasn’t locked either. You guys need to lock these converters, that’s why it’s there.

As for the PI vs Circle D I think they are both great. I’ve ran both. The one thing I like better about the PI is the bolt pattern fits the Gen 1 and Gen 2 lightning so you have a better chance selling one if you ever need to.

You're blowing my mind and freaking me out haha. I have no clue what any of this means and I can't imagine I'd know if I ever had these problems/issues.

Bunch of good info given here though. Nice to know it seems I can't exactly go wrong with either one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If your not talking big mods, there are a few options out there. This one is very popular.

https://lmr.com/item/CIR-390819/lightning-circle-d-torque-converter-e4od-31-08-19-9395

LMR runs a sale every now and then if you can wait. I think between 25-50 cheaper than the $799 price on it now which you can buy straight from circle D for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's actually the exact one (makes sense now haha) that Circle D recommend for me.

Similar in price the one PI also recommended

I'll keep an eye out. Got an amazing deal on wheels. Might have been end of decade sale or something

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why?

Gregg said his Circle D converter was slipping also and after talking to him his wasn’t locked either. You guys need to lock these converters, that’s why it’s there.

As for the PI vs Circle D I think they are both great. I’ve ran both. The one thing I like better about the PI is the bolt pattern fits the Gen 1 and Gen 2 lightning so you have a better chance selling one if you ever need to.
Agree, as soon as the engine exceeds the stall speed you are loosing ET if the convertor is not locked. I remember Dale Robertson talking about this a decade ago, and I have never found him to be wrong.

Some.are not locking at much due to turbos.

My 6.55@ 107.9 was unlocked till 3rd

I'm gonna play with it more when time comes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lock it in 2nd and you will see an ET gain

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. With that logic,going to a lower stall speed would better your 60'. I can see a mph gain at the big end,maybe.

I'd like to try it,but I'm scared! :no:

I also don't feel the TC clutch control with the US Shift is good enough to apply it reliably when you want it to. For TC control, Baumann insists on using trans input shaft speed instead engine RPM, WTH? Then there's the need for a softer shift ,2-3, with the TC applied vs not.

Last edited:
Back