Removing Gen 1 Bed

HouseDivided

How hard is it to remove the bed to finish off the detailing of the frame? It looks real good, but there is rough spots on the frame and I would like to make smooth and paint. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have you sandblasted or used any other means to make it spotless?

the bed comes off very easy..i dont have a first gen, but i just took the bed off of my 89 f150 yesterday, and if im not badly mistaken, it should be the same..it was literally as simple as taking off the 6 bed stud nuts, undoing the gas necks, and popping out the tailights.. i think 16 bolts/screws total. it did take 3 of us to lift it off though, so be sure to have som help...

You need to be careful and make sure the studs dont spin while your spining the nut off, if it does then you have to weld the stud to the bed floor so it wont spin. I had one spin when I was taking mine off.

Yeah I got mine off recently, the carriage bolts near the cab did spin on me, I just had someone pry them up while I hit them with the impact gun, I replaced all the bed bolts and nuts when I put it back on....and I just used a scraper to remover the surface rust and a light sander, painted with POR15

Back