removing cats

Doubled

I was planning on removing my catalytic converters being my 94 dosent have to go through emissions . By removing them and the downstream sensor will the computer be able to adjust the air/fuel ratios or will i have a problem with it leaning out.

I was planning on removing my catalytic converters being my 94 dosent have to go through emissions . By removing them and the downstream sensor will the computer be able to adjust the air/fuel ratios or will i have a problem with it leaning out.

In the OE setup there's only one O2 sensor and it's "pre" the converters.

You can buy a bassani mid pipe with no cats that bolts right in and you can save yours Incase you ever need cats again.

https://lmr.com/item/BE-58150L2/1993-95-Ford-Lightning-Bassani-Off-Road-Mid-Pipe

09421e51a1aa796857d2dc5797984ec8.jpg

a58c7b07a262e32cc4217fda65609998.jpg

I ran the Bassani mid-pipes. They are not terribly expensive, bolt right up.. Very nice product. I had magnaflow high flow spun cats welded in a month later, could't stand the unburnt fuel smell @ stop lights.

I ran the Bassani mid-pipes. They are not terribly expensive, bolt right up.. Very nice product. I had magnaflow high flow spun cats welded in a month later, could't stand the unburnt fuel smell @ stop lights.

Agree! Night and day difference with the cats. Also, the effort to hollow out the cats is significant enough to warrant a bolt in option. Also, retention of the old mid pipes with cats gives you the option of reversing the decision without going beyond the point of no return.

What I have done in the past is remove the fact pipe, completely remove the substrate, weld in a piece of straight pipe inside of the cat shell. This helps with the flow and reduces reverberation sound after. Did this because of local inspection criteria that required the inspector to look for cats, but did not enforce testing. It was a lot of work but it did not cost more that the few bucks for the pipe.

Would I do that again? Nope, I’d rather buy a high flow cat like I did for the 94?if it’s a street driver especially to avoid the fuel smell.

Also, forgot to mention that was on a 93 F250 that had a different cat set up.

Back