Rear Tube bumper

I finally pieced together what I need to install a tube bumper. Getting painted next week.
c920cfcb96188534cf5008d08dbb080b.jpg
e8951dbef32b15fab48591d80e70cc2f.jpg

Wonder if he could weld the end mounts on the outside of the licence bracket, so you dont have to see the welds? Bottom is fine because the license plate covers it.

I didn't know that. That's good info. Maybe I could find a piece? That would be good for safely climbing into bed. I noticed there is also a foam gasket under it too. Mine was still intact so I was gonna get a new sheet, trace and cut out a new one.

I can get you a pic of mine, it's in its original state. I would swing by a skate shop and grab some skate board grip tape it's about $6-$8

Wonder if he could weld the end mounts on the outside of the licence bracket, so you dont have to see the welds? Bottom is fine because the license plate covers it.

I don't see why the ends, let alone the entire bracket, can't be formed in a press brake. My maintenance shop fabs stuff like this all the time.

Well no kidding, Jamie. The tube connection on the metal repro would have to be a glued-on end cap type arrangement that goes between the bracket and tube. Hopefully better sealing than the current setup. But the whole bracket that Shaun shows could be easily fabbed in a brake from a flat sheet.

Ok well I scored another tube bumper last night. It's all original including the original License plate bracket. It is missing one OE end cap though. After comparing the license brackets I gotta say I really like the aluminum one a lot. I think I even like the aftermarket end caps better too. Maybe cause they are not as dull/UV faded looking. The original caps have a slight dome with almost a pinhole in the center. The replacement ones are flat with no holes.
9269c7b22600c30ea0ef54b859a913d2.jpg
2ce63119b1499daf650d528a608eb1a1.jpg
7a1fef0b20be003f1e46333c41b96c2e.jpg

7c5042c4e88f26fc92c03d2906d3cf8c.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
20170805/119c9139d7c0b5886f75ac5ead7588f0.jpg

The pin hole lets it breath.
It will corrode from inside with out them. Unless of course you treat the inside of the tubes with a corrosion preventive compound. AKA CorrosionX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pin hole lets it breath.
It will corrode from inside with out them. Unless of course you treat the inside of the tubes with a corrosion preventive compound. AKA CorrosionX.

It's kinda a double edge sword. It also lets water in. I think it would be better to have a small weep hole in the bottom of the tube somewhere. If you look inside the OE cap you'll see a water stain where water came in and leaked into the tube ends. The inside of the tube has a little rust only in the ends of the tubes.

5e93b74b981f633e99530b2b0886b9f1.jpg

II got 3 of the grip steps outta that sheet.

I thought it looked a little too gray.
So I painted one black and it looks good.
I can't leave well enough alone so I painted the 3rd one YZ white.

It's kinda a double edge sword. It also lets water in. I think it would be better to have a small weep hole in the bottom of the tube somewhere. If you look inside the OE cap you'll see a water stain where water came in and leaked into the tube ends. The inside of the tube has a little rust only in the ends of the tubes.

True.also lets in air which condensates when bumper heats up in sun and cools back off.
So yup cuts both ways for sure.

5e93b74b981f633e99530b2b0886b9f1.jpg

II got 3 of the grip steps outta that sheet.

I thought it looked a little too gray.
So I painted one black and it looks good.
I can't leave well enough alone so I painted the 3rd one YZ white.

Awesome! Sorry I haven't gotten that pic to you yet. I got swamped at work and haven't had time to climb up in the attic to get it. It appears you got it headed in the right direction!

Ok stalling now. Spent too much money lately on my truck by getting another tube bumper and rear spoiler... so I tucked both bumpers away in my AC storage till I get the funds to paint the one I just blasted. Getting closer.. priorities first. But my rear spoiler is *****in!
3ec3f56ba8fe9b7985389ffafe3fbae9.jpg

I assume this thread exists because these bumper parts are made of unobtainium. Just got a 94 and digging around looking for ideas. Also, interested in the final product.

Back