Rear Tube bumper

shaunditty

Shaunditty
I finally pieced together what I need to install a tube bumper.
c920cfcb96188534cf5008d08dbb080b.jpg
e8951dbef32b15fab48591d80e70cc2f.jpg

Last edited:
I found the license plate bracket through Facebook. There is a guy named Scott Rose on Gen1 Lightning's page, he's making them out of aluminum. He does a great job. I found the caps off eBay pretty easy for a 3" tube.

I found the license plate bracket through Facebook. There is a guy named Scott Rose on Gen1 Lightning's page, he's making them out of aluminum. He does a great job. I found the caps off eBay pretty easy for a 3" tube.

That was what I wanted to have for mine. Aluminum LP frame. I was going to get a friend who is an aviation sheetmetal guy to fab it. Also wanted to weld pipe caps on the ends to eliminate any plastic.
Alas I sold it before I got it done.

That is what FOMOCO should have put on these from day1. But $$ is king in mass production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get some more information on how to obtain those brackets?
I will ask Scott if he's a NLOC member. I've communicated with him via Facebook messenger. I almost bought 2. But I wanted to check it out first. I like it, wished I woulda got 2. I'm super excited to get it installed. I have all new spare tire bracketry and new spare tire and rim too. I am almost thinkin of putting my truck back to stock.. except for a few things.

He said he's got enough aluminum to make a few more. If interested he will do it. He thinks his user name is svolightning. He hasn't been on in a while I'd imagine. Bumperequip I will PM you his number. He said he can make them next weekend at the soonest if someone wants one.

He said he's got enough aluminum to make a few more. If interested he will do it. He thinks his user name is svolightning. He hasn't been on in a while I'd imagine. Bumperequip I will PM you his number. He said he can make them next weekend at the soonest if someone wants one.

Can you PM me his contact? I need one too. A car wash broke mine

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have never looked into making a license plate bracket as mine is in great shape. Let me see what I can figure out. I got a guy... It appears as if I could do it in one piece rather then welded seems. I'll get mine off in the next day or two and get a price. I'll let you all know asap.

Your going to have to weld the round parts on where it attaches to the top tubes but the bottom pieces can be made without welds.

Ron,

The guy that builds these is an East KY local and a good friend of mine.

If you're still interested,.....PM me and I'll send you his phone #.
;)

I checked into this today... I would make more of a "cup" to fit over the ends of the tube but, not sure I would call it a financially sound investment. Labor and material would come to about $100 at friend price. Which means to make it worth while for me to be the middle man and machine the "cups" I would have to sell them for $200 shipped. I may make one for me but, selling stuff like this is usually a loose/loose for everyone. I always try to look at it like.. Would I pay $200 for this? No, probably not. Would I pay $100? Yea, probably but at this point in my life I'm so damn busy I can't commit to doing stuff like this just to do it. I guess it always could be an option if someone was hard up. I don't know much about 3d printing but, is that something that would work?

He was only asking $100 shipped. I felt his price was more than fair. I shoulda bought 2. I sent him $125. I wanted him to at least have a $100 and not have to cover shipping or PayPal fees. I woulda probably paid more considering no one else is making these and OE is probably impossible to locate. For the money you can't beat it. I think I could make these too but I don't want to take away from someone making a rare part for our trucks. I respect his willingness to help us out too.

Brackets all painted. As you can see this is how I hang my parts to paint and let dry. I used VHT engine enamel since I had 3 cans anyway. The tongue pad is a little pitted from rust, so I may use bed liner spray on it and do it thick.
4f3c2337f6f7364126fd095eb7b997d4.jpg

Originally the tongue plate had grip tape on it, almost to the edges. Maybe that would cover up the rust pits?
I didn't know that. That's good info. Maybe I could find a piece? That would be good for safely climbing into bed. I noticed there is also a foam gasket under it too. Mine was still intact so I was gonna get a new sheet, trace and cut out a new one.

Back