Rear Main Seal Options

chesebro

So I em finally ready to take on the RMS replacement challenge for my 94’

My question is, What RMS do you guys recommend? I understand it will eventually leak again in the future, but There has to be better seals out there, and not all of them are equal.

Victor Reinz has good reviews, Others have used Ford Racing and Also Fel Pro, some gaskets are Viton and some are Teflon?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Also looking forward to responses on this

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would use an oem Ford seal. Beware of the rear main cap leaking as many mistake a seal failure for oil coming between the block and rear main cap. I like to drop the pan and seal the rear main cap with a dab of sealant. Replace the rear main with a Ford seal after Inspecting the crankshaft for any grooves. Then reinstall the oil pan with a quality one piece rubber pan gasket with sealant on the corners of the cap and the timing cover as well as the area wear timing cover meets the block This will ensure it doesn’t leak.

chesebro said:
What RMS do you guys recommend?
I've only replaced a couple because most oil leaks that drip from the RMS area come from other places on the engines. They just run down & back to there to drip off.

(click this text)

But the most recent RMS that I actually found to be leaking was replaced with a Mahle (the OEM) linked in this caption:

(click this text)

Same on the previous one:

(click this text)

Neither leaks now (almost a year & almost a thousand miles later).
Lowetlx said:
...many mistake a seal failure for oil coming between the block and rear main cap.
How many people do you know who have made that mistake? And how many smallblock Ford V8s have you found with an oil leak there? I've found exactly 0 out of a couple dozen of these engines I've pulled & re-sealed.

I've only replaced a couple because most oil leaks that drip from the RMS area come from other places on the engines. They just run down & back to there to drip off.

(click this text)

But the most recent RMS that I actually found to be leaking was replaced with a Mahle (the OEM) linked in this caption:

(click this text)

Same on the previous one:

(click this text)

Neither leaks now (almost a year & almost a thousand miles later).How many people do you know who have made that mistake? And how many smallblock Ford V8s have you found with an oil leak there? I've found exactly 0 out of a couple dozen of these engines I've pulled & re-sealed.

I will take another look, but IIRC the drip comes from between the trans and the engine

Yep - that's exactly where the FMS was dripping from in that first pic. The oil was blowing along the pan gasket and dripping from under the RMS.

Yep - that's exactly where the FMS was dripping from in that first pic. The oil was blowing along the pan gasket and dripping from under the RMS.

Well, no my front seal isn't leaking. I checked and it's clean under there. I'm going to take the transmission cover off to verify though

I used the Ford Racing one when I rebuild my engine. So far no leaks. That was about 5 yrs ago but not a lot of miles.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Back