Rear frame gusset supports

alarcont91

Where could I get something made or what not to fix my truck up with. Made are pretty nasty looking and would like to fix them before frame is undercoated. If some one could make them for me that would be cool. Let me know. Thanks

I think that's why I may have to do but I don't really have the time right with work and stuff. I going to have to figure something out though

The Lightning has additional gussets attached to the frame on some of the stressed areas, like over the rear axle. Unfortunately, there is a tiny air gap and moisture and time do their thing between the gusset and the frame.

I picked up some 3/16 steel plating that I'm going to use to fix mine. Will get before middle and after pic. I'm going to go Saturday and get it done. I got an idea from another thread on here as to how to go about it all so hopefully it works out. Also got some new rear upper shock mount to throw on since I have to cut rivet to separate everything. I'm going to clean everything and hit it with some rust barrier in between the two metal and a coat over it all once welded

Pics of what I did so far to repair the rear outer frame gusset is in my paint update thread feel free to take a look and let me know what you think

Alot of work but worth it. Has some holes to patch but new outer rear frame gusset came out really nice. Super pleased with the turn out.
a9557367457a3ee3b490215ed5a6b3a4.jpg
aa5e7e3f8a267339a49ac39956185fa1.jpg
43dbcaa67f1ea5a2a3722e6341cf4d68.jpg
77bf2ae07f087a687be0290a3e6f9471.jpg
d4abb8cb0e37a7bcb8f1dab202a954a1.jpg
1281c45d28a7487fe0571fa057d0c11f.jpg
efaa9b0a96e761dad55817edf6ad6ba4.jpg
b46459d0fc74e95fc19a08cb306092a3.jpg
a7264165db05b45b351a3eaa50f1c58f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Lol. Well it's definitely better and stronger the 3/16 plate metal I used was thicker than the metal ford used for it and it's welded all the way around vs the weld here and there ford did.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ford didn't fully-weld it because it's stronger that way. Welding turns steel brittle, so it can't flex - only crack. Having no flex increases the chance that the frame will break. That's why Ford left some soft, flexible steel between the welds.

See, Tony,just when you were happy with you're work and thought you did some good, the guru jumped in and set you straight. You should have confided in HIM first.

Last edited:
Ford didn't fully-weld it because it's stronger that way. Welding turns steel brittle, so it can't flex - only crack. Having no flex increases the chance that the frame will break. That's why Ford left some soft, flexible steel between the welds.

Which allows road dirt, salt and other crap to migrate between the plates and chew at the steel. My plates were swollen out almost 3/8's an inch. Lots of crap sandwiched inbetween the plates. Dug it out like welding slag, and sealed it up for the time being. See my thread, "Overhauling or while I'm at it"

Which allows road dirt, salt and other crap to migrate between the plates and chew at the steel. My plates were swollen out almost 3/8's an inch. Lots of crap sandwiched inbetween the plates. Dug it out like welding slag, and sealed it up for the time being. See my thread, "Overhauling or while I'm at it"

Pics are showing up . But as far as I'm concerned what I did to fix my is way better than what it was. My truck is make no crazy power to flex the frame like that . Not sure why ford decided to do that when the frame itself was already thicker than normal f150. If it poses a problem for me I'll address it then but it's going to be way more supportive then some thin tack welded metal. I'm confident in my repair that it's better than what ford did. There no way for crap to get between and rot stuff away especially since my painter is cleaning the frame and undercoating it to protect it even more.

Back