rear differential fluid change

J

JORGE

I am planning to change my differential fluid next weekend. I have never done it before it seems like a piece of cake. my question is how many quarts of fluid does it take and do i have to add an additive to it? do i buy the fluid at ford or do i buy it somewhere else and go synthetic? also i am sure i will need a pump in order to put the fluid back in or can it be done with a funnel?i haven't looked under there yet.any input would be greatly appreciated THANKS......Jorge

------------------
Jorge R.
1995 lightning black #56
produced: 12/20/94

Jorge,
When I rebuilt my differential, I used Frod lube and Ford friction modifier, as recommended by a local Ford race shop's mechanic. You do not need any special tools--- The fluid bottles have a pointed spout, are relatively small, and it is easy to just put the spoout in the fill hole and squeeze. I don't remember how many bottles it took, I think 2 1/2 + friction modifer, but ask the parts guy you get it from, he'll know.

Kevin Lewis

thanks for the info kevin.......

------------------
Jorge R.
1995 lightning black #56
produced: 12/20/94

I use the Redline fluid. It is only $7.95 a quart and all ready has the friction modifier in it. Just so you know there should be a tag on your cover that says 75w140 synthetic only. The Redline is 80w140 but works just great and only costs about $45 for the change. Wait tell you price the Ford fluid
wink.gif
Makes the Redline look so much better. The Redline comes in 2 types: one will have the modifier in it the other does not, makes sure you get the one that has it in it. It will save you about $7, because either with or without it the Redline is the same price.

Shawn

Back