Randy, how is the truck coming?

No pics, Jody .... But the truck is coming along good. Supercharger is in. MAF kit is in. Ed's E-fan kit and his wiring all in. Tranny finished and in. LFP kit in.

Just has to mount the Art-Carr shifter in, finish up the radius arms and then take it for a test drive for about a week. I know that sounds kinda long. But given all the work that was done over the winter, I would rather have him behind the wheel if problems arise or if he forgot something, etc..

I found some interesting things about my Lightning when we started to install the MAF kit. Turns out the previous owner must have thought of himself as a wiring expert. We found cut wires, spliced wires, wires that went nowhere, wires not grounded, on and on. I know there was an aftermarket stereo in it when I bought it, but there must have been an aftermarket alarm and remote start as well. Lots of creative wiring. It all had to be inspected and addressed.

All in all ... should be ready in a couple weeks. There's a show up here in East Windsor on Sunday, June 15th. Dream Cars for Kids show. And we want to have it done by then. So, fingers crossed.

I'll definately be at the Holley Dodge truck show this year but hopefully I'll make to a 100' drag show before then if they have one.

Thanks for asking, Jody.

Randy

Is the 15th fathers day?
If so I will be at the show in East Haven with my race truck. it is right around the corner from my engine builders shop. we are having a bbq there after.

sounds like it is coming along good. keep us posted and for gods sake, go take some pix or video or something!!!!

Well guys, This past Friday was a good day for the Lightning. After 8 months of waiting and working we finally started the motor. No exhaust. Just open headers .. and it sounded AWESOME ... For about a minute. We had to shut it down because she ran so rich it choked us out of the garage.

After tracking down the fuel pump, pressure regulator, MAF system we think the problem is the injectors themselves. It turns out that unless I was biulding an 800 HP monster these injectors were just pumpming waaaay too much fuel into the motor. I bought 42# er's but were gonna try the 31 # er's that were pulled out of the motor and hope that will take care of it.

The good news is there were no check engine lights and we checked the MAF and everything looks good. So it should be in good shape. I'll keep you informed.

Randy

Well, we put the 31# er's back in and she is still running way to rich. I know Gen I's came stock with 19# injectors but we verified the P/N through Ford. They probably came out of a police interceptor or something. We disconnected the pressure regulator and kept the boost pump off so we just running on the pump in the tank and you can still choke on the gas fumes.

We gonna try to get into the MAF settings next. Maybe they're set too high for a stock engine. I dunno.

Anyway, we're narrowing in on it. We'll keep you posted.

Randy

Okay guys,

I think we finally got a handle on the problem. After all the tests and trouble-shooting, it turns out that there is no problem with the MAF kit after all. ROFL :hh:

In addition to the MAF kit and the S/C, I also purchased an A9L computer from Matt (fordfreak95) to run in my L. That computer must have been re-flashed or re-calibrated for his 393. The paramaters were set way too high for a stock motor and just sent the signals to pour fuel into the engine. So, we took my stock computer and re-flashed that one to reset the parameters just a little higher than stock and that did the trick. It still may need a little fine tuning but it's running and driving way better than it was before! Yes, the wheels are on it, the suspension is almost done. Still waiting for the Bilsteins to get here. But no leaks, No CEL's, starts right up and we've taken around the lot a few times (man it's fast!).

Still have a few more minor things to nail down so with any luck at all, and barring any major catastrophies, I should be at the Holley Truck show on the 27th.

See you there!

Randy

Glad to see it is coming along nicely! I want to see it done. Don't think I will be at the show at Holley. I am supposed to be kayaking with my wife.
Jim

Back