Rancho Torque Arm and lowering kits

W

Wildone

I think I have asked this before, but am unable to remember the answer. Is there any clearance problems with the Torque Arms and the Steeda lowering kit, approximately 2 inch drop? Thanks guys.

John Wilde

Wild,
I dont have a lowering kit on mine but I do have the torq bars, I wont try to lower mine cause around here im sure the brackets for the arms would hit on something sooner or later.
Just my 2 cents

John, no problems whatsoever. If you're only talking about the rear drop, Steeda uses shackles. I've ran mine in both the 2" and 1" drop positions. They don't affect the bars at all.

If you're talking about an all-around drop, the 2" kit only makes about 1" drop on a Lightning and that won't affect the bars at all. Matter of fact, the brackets on the torque arms don't hang as low as the transmission cross member so I don't think there would be a problem with any amount of drop, except perhaps for the axel being pushed too far out of its design travel arc.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

wild 1 I am with jeff on this one. i have them on my 95 i lowered the rear with a 2in drop shackle from bel tech no clearence problems at all.

------------------
Five0 Drw

Just fyi, I just bought the torque arms from summit. They put the install kit in a box WAY to small for all of the components.....Of course all of the fasteners were not there either. I called summit and they gave me 2 options 1 go to the nearest hardware store and get these nuts,bolts, and washers. Or 2 send the whole kit back to them then once they recieve it the will send me a new one. Am I missing something? Why should I send back the whole kit and pay for all of the non-sense shipping when I know what they need to send me. I AM tempted to send it all back and utilize a set of cal-tracs

I saw the Ranchos installed on Joe Cloutier's lowered Lightning this weekend. They look pretty sharp on the lowered truck, really - they're nearly horizontal to the ground and look like a clean ladder bar arrangement.

------------------
Later!
Jeff S.
President, NLOC
#74 in '95 - 11.92@115.2
#?? in '00 - 13.68@99.5

I had a thought the other day while changing the tranny fluid on a friends camaro. His 93 v6 has a ladder bar looking thing on the center of the rear end just to the side of the driveshaft. Would there be any advantage to making something like this on the truck, if it is possible to do. Or just to hard (read expensive)to do to matter?
Also, if I'm thinking correctly, a 2" drop front spring will do 1" drop on the Lightning, I may have to look into that, as that is all I would like in front is 1".

------------------
Ray
black 93 w/Paxton S/N 2000

Jeff, how low is Joe's truck? How are the bars working for him? Has he had any problems? If they really work on a lowered (4-5") truck I just might keep mine and send the Caltracs back (it would be a whole lot less hassle).

Thanks.

Soniccbr, what's on your friends Scumaro is what they call a Torque Arm. I haven't heard of anyone doing this on a truck, but they do make kits for Mustangs(Griggs). It accomplishs the same thing as the Torque Arms. They control wheel hop and help to locate the axle. You could fabricate one yourself. You'll probably need to make another crossmember and then the mount on the centersection. I would HIGHLY reccomend you go with the Rancho's though. They would be MUCH easier!!

------------------
Curt
'93 Red Lightning #4232

Back