Race Mode Lock Up Settings

ASAP

Fore!
I have been trying to get the Race mode lock up settings figured out, but seems to want to engage/disengage constantly so I quit with it but want it to work. For those that don't know this is WOT converter lock up settings. Jamie V(Jamie), FMOS Racing(Jeff) and I were discussing this in another thread and thought it may help to have in a thread of its own for future interest. Please take look at what I have below and advise if you see a problem as well as feel free to post pics of what you know to work. Thanks, David

Current settings are:
Lock up settings.JPG

I have been trying to get the Race mode lock up settings figured out, but seems to want to engage/disengage constantly so I quit with it but want it to work. For those that don't know this is WOT converter lock up settings. Jamie V(Jamie), FMOS Racing(Jeff) and I were discussing this in another thread and thought it may help to have in a thread of its own for future interest. Please take look at what I have below and advise if you see a problem as well as feel free to post pics of what you know to work. Thanks, David

Current settings are:
View attachment 40140

So I haven't had a chance to mess with Tuner Studio trans stuff, but to me it makes perfect sense that you have to match MPH and RPM and the Tuner Studio docs state this. What you want to do is make a spreadsheet or something to calculate your speed and RPMs for each gear. From there you'll need to test to the settings and you give yourself some hysteresis so when the converter locks you don't fall under the RPM setting and unlock. Basically exactly as Jamie specified. If you've ever use a Quick4 they say to make sure the lock/unlock graphs don't cross!

https://www.megasquirt.co.uk/doc/pdf/Trans_Control-0022-2014-10-27.pdf

trans.JPG

I tried to look at my settings from work and got a nastygram popup from IT about unauthorized software, so it'll have to wait until I'm at home.

Thanks Ray! I read that to mean that as long as both conditions are met, it will lock. For that reason I purposely left the MPH low. I'm wondering because the converter changes alot of rpm when locking below the stall speed, if that what is throwing it in and out of lock up.

Wonder if it's better to set rpm lower or mph. I know for me my truck reads the wrong mph at higher speeds but shift points are accurate based on rpm. I will be revisiting the race lock up settings soon with new trans. I plan to lock converter ASAP and keep it locked through the shifts. Don't want it unlocking at all . Should pick up some time and definitely mph.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ray! I read that to mean that as long as both conditions are met, it will lock. For that reason I purposely left the MPH low. I'm wondering because the converter changes alot of rpm when locking below the stall speed, if that what is throwing it in and out of lock up.

Correct, both conditions must be met. It is RPM that is the issue, meaning you're accelerating through the gears you hit a specific MPH and RPM, the converter locks and RPM drops below the setting and then unlocks regardless of the MPH. This is why you'll see hysteresis settings in the Ford software and some other aftermarket EFI systems.

I've got a spreadsheet I've used in the past that allows you to plot RPM vs MPH in each gear if anyone wants.

I’ll post this here (I posted it in your other thread)

It’s a MPH vs RPM issue if I’m right. When I had the issue I’d have it set for (this is just an example) it to lock up at 72 mph and 4500 rpm. For it to lock both of those conditions have to be met. So what would happen would be both of the conditions would be met, it would lock the converter and then it would yank the RPM down which would trigger it to unlock because both conditions were now not met.

To fix the issue I had to turn the RPMs down low and use just the MPH to lock the converter.

Can you share your file Jamie? Sounds like 2 totally opposite schools of thought. Both may work though.

I don't use the race settings. I just use the normal settings and have it locking up in 3rd and 4th gear. With the new converter, I'll add race settings to have it lock up in 2nd under certain conditions at WOT.

I only lock the converter in 4th gear for normal driving and lock in 2nd & 3rd in race mode.

I don't use the race settings. I just use the normal settings and have it locking up in 3rd and 4th gear. With the new converter, I'll add race settings to have it lock up in 2nd under certain conditions at WOT.

I only lock the converter in 4th gear for normal driving and lock in 2nd & 3rd in race mode.

Once we figure why the hell mine won't start, you guys can show me what your talking about...

Any of you keeping converter locked through the shifts? I know my gen 2 likes it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I haven't experimented with it yet. I know it can be pretty rough on the input shaft, but since I have a whizbang trans, I will probably give it a try.

Back