Questions about Detailing? Post here!

blkdvL

Road Race Detail Van Man
Hopefully this thread wont get deleted like my last one.

If anyone has any questions regarding detailing/cleaning/maintaining feel free to post them up and I'll try to get to them in a timely manor.

So you feel comfortable, My name is Steven and I manage West Coast Detailing. It is the largest and fast detailing business in San Luis Obispo, Ca. We currently have one shop (my shop) and two fully self contained mobile vans. I have 6 years detail experience, and do 2-3 complete details every day. I don't just detail the average family mini van or ford taurus. I have several regular customers with nice (exotic) vehicles including but not limited to: Ferrari 550, Ferrari 355, AMG SL65, Cayenne Turbo S etc..

Let the posts begin...

Last edited:
Some insights into the cleaning and detailing of a very used engine compartment. A list of preferred products that really work. Once detailed how to best maintain it.:sigh:

Some insights into the cleaning and detailing of a very used engine compartment. A list of preferred products that really work. Once detailed how to best maintain it.:sigh:

The procedure really depends on what kind of vehicle. Usually you can just thoroughly coat the engine with a good degreaser (simple green works well) making sure the engine is cool when you do it, otherwise you can flash any aluminum. Let is sit for a min. Hose it off making sure to try and avoid the major electrical parts as much as possible (a light pressure washer works best), repeat as necessary until engine is clean. For the dressing, best thing to use a 50/50 mix of water based dressing. Unfortunately I'm not sure what's out on the market to use :headscratch: I'm sure any engine dressing that they sell at autozone/kragen/napa will work fine. As far as maintaining it........don't have any oil leaks?

how can i polish my intake its from a stock mustang i want to use it on the truck so i can convert it to the singel tb

interested in buying a buffing machine any input or sugestion.

Cyclo - one speed dual headed random orbital polisher

Porter Cable - adjustable speed random orbital polisher

Craftsman orbital polisher

We have a craftsman in the shop as well as the cyclo. I wish we had a porter cable. That would be the one I would suggest. It has the best of both worlds between a high speed and orbital

interested in buying a buffing machine any input or sugestion.

Definately get a DA polisher.....either the Porter Cable or the Meguiars DA which is made by Porter Cable. There are several kits available from ADS at this link Meguiars
It will be the BEST money you can spend for maintaining a show truck finish. And, your arms and hands will thank you for it. I have the Porter Cable. My truck is a 99 and has a better finish on it now than when I bought it.

if you where going to start from the front and go back what products do you use where?? aka clear headlights what do you use? paint mirrors, black plastic,glass,tonneau cover ,tires, if thats not to much to ask thanks matt

Back