Question on Rust Repair

I am doing some rust repair on my 1996 Bronco & have some areas that would be best repaired with some form of paint-on rust converter such as Hirsch Miracle Paint, POR 15, or KBS Rust Seal.

Anyone out there have experience with any of these products? Are they effective? Do they last? What's the best?

Cheers,
broncobill::headscratch:

Last edited:
I have used the POR15 .I think it would be okay and seal everything off if you can get it on both sides of the panel.Did you see how I repaired mine in the how to section.Mine was rusted through and had to have new metal welded in.If yours is onlysurface rust it might just need sanded off and primed.If its in the wheelwells its most likely coming from the inside of the panel.

Thanks Comet Man!!

Yes, I read your 'How To' article on rust repair. It was helpful, but I'm taking a different approach. I had rust over the wheel wells, like you, and rust on the tailgate. It was rust through with a lot of interior damage, like the rear window mechanism brackets were completely unsupported at the bottom due to rust out.

I cut out the existing rust and, working my way from the inside out, applied Ospho & rust converter in mega doses, installed custom cuts of 16 ga sheet steel with pop rivets & JB weld, then surface filled & contoured with JB weld - no plastic filler or Bondo was used. Then I applied 3 coats of anti-rust primer & 3 coats of finish paint, again working from the inside out. Then I filled the interior spaces with expandable foam & undercoated the foam to create a completely water tight seal (I hope). I didn't use any of the POR 15 or Hirch products up to this point.

This fall I'm getting an off-frame chassis sandblast & chassis paint plus a soda blast of the underbody with prime & paint. I am worried, however, that the soda blast of the underbody won't get inside some of the underbody channel beams. This is where I am considering using the POR 15 or Hirsch Miracle Paint - to spray inside the underbody channel beams.

I know I'll never get it all, but I am going to give it my best shot. I want to believe I am getting 90% of the rust...and I know I will just have to deal with the remaining 10% as it occurs.

Thanks again for your article & taking the time to respond to my question.

Cheers,
broncobill

Same here,I cut everything out but in most cases it does come back around the area cut out at some point.Just hope for the best!Good Luck,Heath

Back