question about lowering

sleeper22

I am a new Lightning owner. I brought her home about a week ago (2003 black model). I am going to drop her atleast the 4x6 kit. I just wanted to know which setup is the best. Which shocks ride the nicest and so on... I read that you should not go with a lowering leaf spring because you can't haul as much in the bed. I WILL BE C-NOTCHING. I also read that you can use front Expedition lowering springs and they will lower it 3" compared to 2" from other kits. I read that you can use Chevy truck lowering shackles and they will lower the rear 3" instead of 2" from other kits. I just want to be lower and ride real nice. I do know there is a search function, I just wanted to get everyones thoughts. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

My old '00 was lowered a true 3" in front and about 4" in back and here's the parts list I used...

Western Chassis drop A-arms in front (a 1" drop).
So-Cal Speed Shop springs (a 1.75" drop).
Ford cam bolts for alignment.
Doetsch Tech shocks.
Hotchkis sway bar.
After everything settled and after the alignment it was dropped 3".

For the rear I used...

Western Chassis hanger kit ( 2" drop but it can be set up for a 3" drop).
Hotchkis leaf springs (2" drop)
Stock shackles.
QA1 adjustable shocks.
Western Chassis C-notch.
Custom made sway bar.

Again, after everything settled the rear sat 4" lower than stock, keep in mind this was a 2000 truck which were lower ride height factory vs. the '01 & up trucks.

The ride was actually pretty good but if I went any lower in front or back I would be tearing up fenderwells and tires.

Chevy and Ford shackles are the same basically so don't expect any more than a 2" drop no matter what the advertisement says. The stock leaf spring can't extend enough to drop more than 2". Also, the Hotchkis leaf springs are now rated higher than factory so your payload won't be completely lost and there's always "helper" air bags if you still want to tow or haul heavy stuff. Firestone and Air Lift make kits for F-150's that will support an additional 1,000 lbs. although with a c-notch you'll have to get creative with how you mount the bags.

My only other piece of advice would be to stay away from DJM products. The quality control is seriouly lacking on a lot of their stuff. I have personal experience with them as well as friends that have had parts break due to s**t welds.

I'll find some pics of my old hooptie and I'll post them up for reference later on.
;w

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/pictureview.cfm?pnum=65576&anum=205

Last edited:
JLP makes a 4" shackle which gives you a true drop, you can extend the leaf as much as you want really, i just dont know how much i would trust it

Back