pulley swap/chip install gone bad

JOEs01L

Hey guys. I thought I hit the lottery because my buddy gave me all of the parts he took off of his lightning. The parts have sat for a few years but he gave me a 6lb pulley and a chip tuned for it. I installed the pulley and the truck still ran. I installed the chip and now it wont idle. It runs if you keep it around 1000rpm but it smokes up my garage and seems to be EXTREMELY rich. So much so that fuel is coming out of the exhaust. We have removed the ECM several times(with the batt diconnected) and checked the contacts but it still wont run. I dont know where to go from here and may have to remove everything and leave it alone. The only thing that scares me is that we put the ECM back in without the chip and it wouldn't even start. I am out of time and will have to resume tomorrow after work. Any ideas? Thanks.

Take it and have it tuned for your truck....You may not have all the same suppoerting mods he did. Injectors bigger MAF etc... Dont know if that is the case but it would cause issues IMO. Just cuz it was tuned for his truck does not mean it is tuned for yoursss..:headscratch:

i would either get a dyno tune for that pulley with the other supporting mods or contact someone like JDM and get the supporting mods with the 6lb and get a xcal 3 with email tune.

the basics are CAI, 6lb pulley, ported eaton, NGK TR6 plugs gapped .034, upgraded MAF BA2400 or mafia, valve body for tranny. with these mods and a good tune from a lightning tuner you should have a low to mid 12 second truck with traction

Was his truck and your's the same year's??? Each year Ford had a different ECM in each truck so if it's from a different year that chip would most likely not work!!! Best bet is to get it dyno tuned for best safety so you don't vent the block!!!

Hopefully you didn't pull the chip with the key still in the 'on' position - will wipe out a PCM in a heartbeat.

As previously stated - you need a chip for the same year vehicle (your's is an 01 I assume) - I've got a PSP 4 position chip for an 01 with a 6# pulley and a CAI (nothing else) that you can have once you get yours running. Has 4 tunes on it and all of them run great.

Bird

Thanks for the replies fellas. I couldn't find aanyone in town who could tune it so I pulled it all off and now it runs fine. I will probably invest in a tuner from jlp when I get the $. Thank god I didn't F up the ECM.

I'm guessing the chip was not from a '01 truck... Be easy on it (no boost)if you drive it without a tune or a chip or you might be looking for a motor...

It was from an 03. I removed it and the pulley. I will reinstall the pulley later when I get a tuner. How mush will a good dyno shop charge to tune it? Is it better to get your own tuner?

Usually the dyno tune is about $350-$400 but then you will also need a hand held or chip which is usually another $200-$300... You can sometimes find these on the classified's for alot cheaper than new...

Back