Proper Battery Maintenance ... ?

bumperquip

As some might know, my truck sits in the garage ... ... a lot.

Sometimes it doesn’t get driven for multiple months and sometimes it doesn’t even get started up for several.

That being the case, and that having been the case for a while, I’ve lost a few batteries over the years to sulfation due to lack of use.

Upon this most recent replacement, I’ve decided to, every couple/few months charge the battery and then (hopefully) start and drive the truck.

Although my most recently failed battery was ~5 years old (and that’s truly sayin something in the W. central FL heat) the reason for the loss and replacement expense is lame ... on my part.

Anyway ... what’s you guy’s long-term battery maintenance technique?

Do you long-winter guys use/rely on the “battery tender” or is it your opinion that what I’ve started doing is fine?

I just buy duralast gold's from AutoZone.... Replace for free no questions asked if they go bad under warranty

Heck I’ve driven mine right around 2,200 miles since I bought it 3-1/2 years ago. And in NJ I can’t drive it 1/4 of every year because of road salt.

How many miles have you driven in the last 3-1/2 years?

Ron
I do the same with my MACH1 as far as sits more than used. It saw right at 1k mi last yr.
I have had it on a low dollar harbor freight battery tender for yrs.
I replaced the battery last month.
The previous unit was installed in 2013. It was just an Autozone battery no optima or other top tear unit.

I believe the less than 15 dollar investment has alot to do with the
battery lasting almost 6 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back