Progress on the 79 Coupe LX racecar project

relykz

2001 White SVT Lightning
Well, been working on this beast for a minute now... lol. Had a friend come by last week and knock some welding out for me, he wasn't the best welder but he got the job done. I spent a few hours sanding the welds down smooth, have a few more hours of that and I'll be ready for the body filler and seam-sealer.

The UPR chromoly tubular K-member and A-arms came in yesterday... hopefully this thing will be running by summertime. :D

I took some pics while out at my dads a couple days ago:

Few more details on the progress of the beast

Parts that have been installed:

UPR adjustable upper/lower control arms
UPR billet spherical bushings
UPR rear coilover suspension
UPR upper/lower torque-box reinforcements
UPR driveshaft safety loop
Moser 35-spline axles
Moser 35-spline spool
Moser 4.56 gears
Moser differential cover
Ford 9" axle-tubes welded in with c-clip eliminators
Narrowed 4.5" on each side
Wolfe minitubs
S&W cage
S&W through-floor subframe connectors
Maximum Motorsports full-length XL subframe connectors
Ford Racing 4" aluminum driveshaft
Scott Rod Fab engine bay plates welded in
Polyurethane sump 16ga fuel cell mounted in spare tire location

Here's a few more pics:

Rear bulkhead/seat delete

Since I relocated the fuel cell inside of the trunk, NHRA rules state that I have to separate the trunk of the car from the cabin... so I fabbed up this lightweight rear bulkhead:

Thanks guys, it's been a LOT of time, a little money here and there... saved a lot by doing most of the work myself.

The 306ci engine is pretty built minus the XXX block (rated at 550hp max), the Trick-Flow TW heads, Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake, and Demon carb are all used. The shortblock was assembled by Folk... it consists of a DSS forged crankshaft, DSS forged pistons and rods, Comp Cams custom grind on a 110lsa, all ARP hardware. It's also girdled and has a windage tray, with high volume oil pump.

Should be around 350rwhp and on the spray about 460-470rwhp, which should run 10's in a tin-can that weighs around 2600lbs. :3g:

Another Update!

UPR K-Member and A-Arms came in, all I need now is a set of QA1 struts, a Flaming River manual rack, and then I can put the front end together. Managed to cut the paneling down in the trunk, so all I need to finish it is black carpet, and an Optima battery with relocation kit and billet tie-down. :cool:

Back