Problems with reupholstering seats

A few weeks ago I found a center jump seat from a regular F150 at pick-a-part and decided to have it reupholstered with the OEM charcoal fabric. I went to a good shop here in SoCal and they were able to track down some of the 2119 gray fabric. I took the two main seats as well since the fabric on the outside bolsters was getting threadbare and we now had plenty of the charcoal material to recover them. But the guy who runs the shop noticed that Ford had glued the fabric to the seat cushion foam, both the lowers and uppers. Since I want to reuse the striped material that runs down the center of the seats, he was worried that he might destroy the foam when he separates it from the fabric. Ford no longer sells the foam (and it looks like when they did sell replacements, they sold the foam pre-covered with the material already glued on) and Explorer seat cushions don't look like they have the right shape (even the sport seats with the pull out extension like ours). Has anybody gone through the reupholstery process already and dealt with some of these issues? The upholsterer said he sees this problem with OEM seats quite often (cloth glued directly to the foam) because the car manufacturers use it to cuts costs somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would think that if he is a good upholsterer he would be able to remake the foam in his shop. I know the guy I go to locally did so on my Mustang seats. Any good shop could remake the foam it is just a matter of getting foam in the correct density as the original to start from. Ill be haveing mine done in the future and I am competent that my guy will be able to reproduce the foam I need. My D/S side bolster has a missing chunk of foam as it is. He has already told me it wont be an issue to repair/replace it.

I agree. The cushions can be made. Not sure of the cost but it's definitely doable. I'm not sure I'd even spend a whole lot of time worrying about getting same type of cushion... I mean there are tons of cars with much more supporting seats than ours. I'd just be sure to get a good quality cushion. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll talk to the upholsterer tomorrow and see what he says; when I was there last week he was putting some recovered seats from a Toyota Solara in a '64 Impala! SA94, do you remember how much your guy charged you for the custom foam?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll talk to the upholsterer tomorrow and see what he says; when I was there last week he was putting some recovered seats from a Toyota Solara in a '64 Impala! SA94, do you remember how much your guy charged you for the custom foam?

I have yet to have them done however he has given me a "ballpark" of about a grand fro teh whole deal. Labor and material.
FYI The shop I go to specializes in aircraft not automotive so it is generally a tad higher as he has to make patterns for all my stuff. Where as a shop that does automotive may have patterns to the stuff. However I get great quality work and it is worth the $$ to me.
He did the interior work on my 85GT resto mod car and the wirk is great and I was happy with the cost vs results.

Back