Prepping a stock Gen 1 for a track day at Willow Springs Raceway CA

DAVE94LIGHTNING

Getting the truck together for a track day in Feb. Truck is 100% factory and I don't want to modify anything. Aside from fresh brake pads and HiPo brake fluid and fresh tires does anyone have any other helpful tips? How are you road race guys dealing with power steering fluid squirtage etc... Thanks.

Make sure battery is secure, kinda freaks you out when you open the hood and see one hanging by the cables

All bushings are fresh and polyurethane.
Battery etc in stock mount and in good shape.
Driveshaft is tight no slop in U-Joints .
This truck is in like new condition so everything looks very clean and fresh under the hood and chassis.

Anyone have issues with wheel caps popping off? I love the way they look and hate to remove them.

What tire pressure is everyone running?

Thanks

Getting the truck together for a track day in Feb. Truck is 100% factory and I don't want to modify anything. Aside from fresh brake pads and HiPo brake fluid and fresh tires does anyone have any other helpful tips? How are you road race guys dealing with power steering fluid squirtage etc... Thanks.

I used to track a mustang. I used to wrap/ duct tape a rag around filler cap area of the p/s pump. Going hard and hot fluid it will allow some to get out. Not the best cap
Seal.

Most important thing is

Strap a go pro to it and record. Post here

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm a track day instructor here on the east coast. I've been tempted to try the L myself but mine is a little old/tired, not sure I want to stress it 3 hours from home so no personal experience. Here's what I would suggest as a guy in the right seat:

Race quality front brake pads. These trucks aren't light and will generate a LOT of brake heat. Spend the money on good Hawk, Carbotech, etc. Not autocross pads; track pads.

Flush brake fluid and install fresh. Bring extra and tools to be able to bleed in case it boils.

Make extra sure the battery is rock solid secure. This is the #1 area guys fail in passing tech.

Torque wrench. Check the lugs every second session.

Credit card for fuel. You'll need lots, lol.

Tire pressure--will be an experiment. Probably add 4-6 lbs extra in the fronts. I'd start with the rears stock. Check your sidewall edges throughout the day. Most tracks have on-site air.

Post back here and let us know how it went. :) Be mindful of your instructor; he will probably be terrified riding in that thing. I know I would be.

Ddavidv....where are you an instructor at....I've been thinking about trying this with my White L...

Good stuff. I won't be with an instructor, I've raced my mustang there before. I'm trying to get some good gopro footage as always. I'm looking to fab up a cool mount for a unique POV.

Here is a vid of my buddies Gen 1 and my fox coupe at Willow springs a few years ago.

Last edited:
Here is my idea to prevent the PS fluid squirting everywhere. I 3D printed a new cap with O ring seal and a -8An fitting to plumb into a catch can. It'll just be for the track day no permanent modifications.

1483c1233ca086ba76e9112d52db4740.jpg
df81f6969df97cc2c2ca4cd09b847160.jpg

I would also suggest a better set of Pads and shoes, last time I went out for a all day event, I drove home metal to metal, the car was a brand new Rustang GT with less than 2k miles. stock pads will not hold up if you drive aggressive.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have new pads, rotors drums and hi performance brake fluid already. I just got the Russel braided steel brake lines and speed bleeders to install next. In my mustang it always sprays PS fluid through that little breather hole in the cap and I'm trying to prevent that. I think I'll also add some water wetter to keep the coolant temp down.

- - - Updated - - -

I always just put sweat bands on the power steering and brake fluid reservoirs on my ranger.

That's not complicated enough for my liking. I prefer to over engineer things haha ;)

Hey Dave,
Which track you running?

Here is what I have found open tracking these trucks.

Tire Pressure- Honestly, never found the gen1 to respond to pressure adjustments. The Viper and the Vette respond very well, but no matter what you do the tires are going to screaming for mercy on the Gen1. I usually set the pressures to 42-44 and adjust according to tire wear after each session. Trying to get the wear more centered on the tread as possible.

Tires- fwiw, Toyos are the best stock street tire stock size I have used on a road course.

Brakes- As stated above, brake fade is a real possibility if you are stock, especially on The Streets. I have found that as I got better as a driver, I didn't use the brakes as much. Big Willow not so much. Its happened to me a few times. You are going to be there in winter, so you shouldn't have any issues with boiling the fluid. Resist the tendency to jab at the brakes and try to be as smooth as possible is my suggestion.

ABS- Rear abs is an issue on these trucks. The first turn at The Streets comes to mind. You should be hitting that hairpin turn off the front straightaway about 100mph. For me the ABS always kicks in there when I brake, it creates a weird sensation that makes you want to over respond to the under steer. With the front wheels locked and the rear wheels rolling. Then the front tires bite and you are spinning. My advice if this happens to you, fight the tendency to want to turn the steering wheel more or much at all.

Since you are used to a Mustang and this is your first time in a Gen1 on a road course...the truck is higher up, wider and longer, you will think you are hitting your marks on your line. In reality, you will probably be 3 to 4 feet away from your marks in the corners. I have to tell myself that I am not going to go off track if I move the truck over more and use as much of the track as possible. You will see what I mean. You need to use as much of the track as you can to keep your momentum up.

Never had the center caps pop off and I have gone off track quite dramatically many times, lol.

The main thing with a stock gen1 is just keep your momentum up in the corners and you will be able to hang with anything out there. Concentrate on coming out of a corner onto the straightaway with as much momentum as you can so you can pass. You wont have the top end, especially on Big Willow, to overtake people unless you are perfect on your line.

Then get back in your Mustang and see how much better of a driver you are after running a gen1 :thumbup:

Great info Buckley. I'm running the streets of willow this time and yeah I am worried about brake fade and boiling fluid especially on that front straight onto the skidpad. Thanks for the tire pressure recommendations. What did you do about the PS fluid spraying out? Just put a towel and a ziploc bag over it? Also I'm assuming you leave the truck in Drive with overdrive off and let it rip. I'm not buying fresh tires for this day but the BFG's on the truck are in good shape so we'll see how they do. I know I'll be sliding all over but as long as they don't get greasy with heat I'll keep driving.

I never have had an issue with PS Fluid coming out, that's even with overfilling a little to deal with the turns on the streets. I wont be much help on that, Im afraid. Your idea of a taped Ziploc bag sounds like a good one, though.

On the streets I guess you could leave the overdrive off, I just leave it on. Its not going to have much bearing if your foots in it all the time.

The skid pad turn is an issue with the truck because of the bed getting light, Ive tried a few things to help get around that corner. I have had one foot on the brake and one on the accelerator and just modulate each on the edge of traction. Its not perfect but it helps a little.

Have fun

Back