Popping on "tip in"

I focused quite a bit on tweaking AE in. That and hot start were two of the most brainpower consuming items to finally get to where I was happy with them.

I found I had to adjust the default table quite a bit and bring in a lot more AE sooner than the base tune had, and then flatten it out.

Any progress?
I decided to use your tune and build my own VE table. I installed it Saturday and went for a ride. It ran really good but was pretty fat. I tried the "Tune for you" function and it leaned the damn thing out so much that I had to stop and reload your tune from a restore point to get it home. Not sure what went wrong there. On Sunday I went for a ride with my Tuner Copilot. He got everything leaned out and the table smoothed.

I couldn't be happier with the way it runs. Drivability is really good.

Funny story though.

We kept driving and he would tell me to roll in and get a bit more agressive each time. Then at some point he said "launch it and let it eat". It was amazing! This thing has put down some good numbers on the dyno and I have driven it hard on the street over the years but it never ran with this kind of violence. I figured we were done when he said "one more time, I think it wants more timing". So we did. and it shut down on its own at around 7000 RPM. We got no warning and no red lights on the tuner dash. It would start but ran like crap. I limped it home and we searched for an hour before we figured it out.

We sheard a roll pin in the distributor gear. All is well now.

I sheared the roll pin through the distributor gear on a pass in my former big block truck one night. It blew a huge fireball and shut down. It would crank smoothly but cough. It sure sounded like it had jumped timing. So I lifted the distributor and sure enough the gear had moved. I stabbed it back close, drove it home, put a new pin in it, and went back and made some more passes. :ROFLMAO:

So great to hear about the results! Not surprised to hear it was fat during normal driving given the difference in intake and cam. One thing I've seen is people being focused on the dyno hp results, but that totally disregards the improvement in drivability. My truck doesn't make any more power at WOT than it did with the mass air setup based on ET and mph. But the drivability is so monumentally improved; it's why I put a PxS in a basically stock truck as well.

The distributor is an aftermarket "factory replacement" unit. The pin was a cheesy slotted roll pin. My buddy had a box of heavy duty spring pins. He says he has seen this before. At high RPM the oil pump is putting a lot of resistance on the distributor shaft and the pins fail. The slight interference fit of the gear will make it hang on at lower speed and idle so I was able to get it home.

Problem was the fuel burning in the headers must have gotten them pretty hot because my shifter cable melted down. I got home, tried to put it in park and it was stuck in drive. Had to pull onto the lift and get my buddy to chock the wheels. Got the cable loose and put it in park from underneath. New cable is on the way.

Back