PiMP and 60lbs Upgrade

I tossed a datalog here -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RJT_p5UxygMEFy5kWadnelwvM00KJ7fC/view?usp=share_link

I have checked the timing is at 10 assuming my pointer is correct. I'm going to TDC check it tomorrow just in case. I will run at 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500 and 4000. Going to need my ear plugs for sure.

What fuel and plugs are you running? I looked through your datalog and looked at the highest boost pull you made which was around 6psi. You've got about 160's deg IAC and are running, in my opinion, a lot of timing (30 degrees at tip in and then 25 around 6psi) in lower RPMs for a non-intercooled pump gas setup.

Also, and I ran in to this too when tuning on the street, you're not getting any accel enrichment because you're rolling in to the throttle slowly so you def hit a very lean spot then as you build boost it's a tad lean and eventually goes a bit rich. Does it ping when you first get in to it and then go away or all the way through? I'd pull some timing and add some accel pump in the lower TPSdot areas. I'd also pull the plugs and then go colder if you haven't already.

1679584234972.png

What fuel and plugs are you running? I looked through your datalog and looked at the highest boost pull you made which was around 6psi. You've got about 160's deg IAC and are running, in my opinion, a lot of timing (30 degrees at tip in and then 25 around 6psi) in lower RPMs for a non-intercooled pump gas setup.

Also, and I ran in to this too when tuning on the street, you're not getting any accel enrichment because you're rolling in to the throttle slowly so you def hit a very lean spot then as you build boost it's a tad lean and eventually goes a bit rich. Does it ping when you first get in to it and then go away or all the way through? I'd pull some timing and add some accel pump in the lower TPSdot areas. I'd also pull the plugs and then go colder if you haven't already.

View attachment 104040

I'm running Motorcraft SP-477 at .30 gap. I have a set of TR5s I was planning on changing to this weekend. I fouled a set of plugs once already.

It pings as I gradually push the pedal down, too scared to just send it and see what full throttle would do.

The 6lbs pull was on VP MS109 (switched to front tank). The first ten seconds of the log are 0-60 mph rolling into the throttle until pinging then backing off on 92 pump gas.

My action plan is:
1. Find TDC plugs out and 100% make sure it matches balancer and pointer
2. New plugs, TR5 is what I have on the shelf though
3. Fill up with 92 (almost out of gas)
4. Verify Timing at RPM matches TS from 1000-4000 in increments

I'm running Motorcraft SP-477 at .30 gap. I have a set of TR5s I was planning on changing to this weekend. I fouled a set of plugs once already.

It pings as I gradually push the pedal down, too scared to just send it and see what full throttle would do.

The 6lbs pull was on VP MS109 (switched to front tank). The first ten seconds of the log are 0-60 mph rolling into the throttle until pinging then backing off on 92 pump gas.

My action plan is:
1. Find TDC plugs out and 100% make sure it matches balancer and pointer
2. New plugs, TR5 is what I have on the shelf though
3. Fill up with 92 (almost out of gas)
4. Verify Timing at RPM matches TS from 1000-4000 in increments

Cool, to be honest I'd go with a colder plug, however your plan is solid to verify the timing, but I am pretty sure it's gonna continue to ping until you get some AE in there to calm down those lean spots on tip in.

Cool, to be honest I'd go with a colder plug, however your plan is solid to verify the timing, but I am pretty sure it's gonna continue to ping until you get some AE in there to calm down those lean spots on tip in.
I'm sure I can find a set of colder plugs, I'll play around with the AE like you say, I was wondering if time based vs Accel pump would be better. Nevertheless, one change at a time. Thanks for the input!

Take a look at the AE settings if you'd like. It's the tune from my near-stock truck.

Also probably worth mentioning that I only have 19-20 degrees of timing in my well-intercooled truck at 6 psi. I'm admittedly conservative, but not by a huge amount.

Attachments

• WhiteTruckTune.msq
    285.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Take a look at the AE settings if you'd like. It's the tune from my near-stock truck.

Also probably worth mentioning that I only have 19-20 degrees of timing in my well-intercooled truck at 6 psi. I'm admittedly conservative, but not by a huge amount.
I started to look around and noticed your Primary Fuel Load is SD and I'm on Percent Baro. I'm guessing this is because of the noisy monster bolted to my engine and your white truck is being tortured yet? Thanks for the tune, I'll start stealing parts this weekend after I validate my timing 100%. Still wondering how I survived with an FMU and BTM no pings same 10degree mark, but we shall see.

Percent Baro vs SD doesn't make any difference near sea level, it's only relevant at higher altitudes. Anywhere near sea level, they're practically interchangeable. I'm in Raleigh, only a few hundred feet above sea level, so they're the same thing.

If that's part of the provided tune then maybe it is because the Stinger system uses and onboard MAP sensor, but you still have your truck's MAP connected. Do the stinger instructions say to disconnect the factory MAP vacuum line, if so that basically creates a baro sensor.

PxS uses key on baro through the integrated MAP.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Yep but that's the same thing Fords did all through the EEC-IV era.

There’s a secondary onboard BAP sensor… could it be used in this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't make it complicated... If you're not driving from Death Valley to Denver in one stretch, or racing Pikes Peak hill climb, it's not something to spend time on.

My NGK TR6 plugs won't be here until Saturday. But I did prep to load the AE setting FMOS is using and make a few 0-60s to see if it helps. I have to prevent myself from changing to many things at once. I did see what Raymond pointed out and AE should help since really this is an issue with slow pedal depression like getting onto a highway from a stop gradual acceleration past 50% or so.

There’s a secondary onboard BAP sensor… could it be used in this situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Jeff about not going down a rabbit hole on the Baro thing. But just so everyone knows, yes, there is an option to use a Baro sensor and it is recommended if your vehicle is going to see significant altitude changes. I would call that the advanced stage for someone with a Megasquirt, right now focus on the foundational items :)

As far as changing EGO authority that would only work for fueling, you have to consider all the other load based items, timing being a big one.

I'm questioning my base tune is even close to correct. The way I read the PiMPxshiftStartupGuide it says double the injector for batch fire. This changes the req fuel by double. I'm not sure, I posted on Stinger's support forum and searched around but only got more confused. I've been set 4 squirts/cycle, alternating, Number of Injectors 4. I run Siemans Deka 60lbs\hr. Is it me or does the guide contradict itself here?

Enter the actual values for your engine and injectors UNLESS you have a Batch Fire V8 (like all Speed Density F-Series applications) with smaller than 60lb injectors. Batch Fire V8’s Enter DOUBLE your actual injector size. In Step 13 below you’ll enter 4 injectors to make the fuel calculation come out correctly. This is due to required injector sequencing to also support sequential V8’s. Pay attention to the units for these values. It’s very common for people to enter the wrong info here because they don’t look at the units (they enter injector cc’s instead of lb/min or engine cc’s instead of cubic inches for instance). Be advised the “Injector Size” and “Engine Size” parameters seen in the Engine and Sequential Settings dialog are only used by the ECU for MAF calculations, which we don’t typically use. If you want to fill these in with the appropriate values, feel free to do so (but “Required Fuel” is the parameter that tells the ECU what to do with the injectors). ***If running E85 or non-gasoline, you’ll need to set the AFR in the required fuel setting above that matches your fuel. E85 is ~9.86 depending on the exact ethanol percentage. You then need to follow the instructions in this support forum link that covers all of the details of running nongasoline fuels (registration required to view): Forum E85 Details 13) Now change how the injectors fire by going to (Basic/Load Settings > Engine and Sequential Settings): ---Batch Fire V8 60lb or smaller injectors: set to 4 squirts/cycle - alternating AND for “Number of Injectors” enter 4, as shown below. ---Batch Fire V8 larger than 60lb injectors: set to 1 squirt – simultaneous AND for “Number of Injectors” enter 8 as shown on the Sequential screenshot below. ---Sequential fire (PiMPxs Only - any engine and injector size) set to 1 squirt – simultaneous.

1679683801845.png

I think you're getting tripped up on the part where they explain required fuel and such. Stick with the illustrated setting, unless they say otherwise.

I had the same issue when setting mine up with 60lb injectors. I can't find the thread or post where I asked Stinger now, but here are my settings using Siemens Deka 60lb units I got from Stinger. Granted this is on a basically stock engine with no boost, but I went 60lbs for my future turbo build which is almost complete.

Capture.JPG

I had the same issue when setting mine up with 60lb injectors. I can't find the thread or post where I asked Stinger now, but here are my settings using Siemens Deka 60lb units I got from Stinger. Granted this is on a basically stock engine with no boost, but I went 60lbs for my future turbo build which is almost complete.

View attachment 104044
Oh Yeah, I ended up same as you at 3.8. I just took a ride and the snappy throttle and trans control is night and day compared to the Ford PCM. Like having a new truck! Thanks FMOS!

I still have the pinging laying into the pedal gradual i.e merge from stop to 60mph at about 3000rpm (40%) tps which is about where I start making boost. I'm going to go back out in a bit and see how it acts with more fuel. Pretty much when my noisy ass Summit BOV closes I can hear it start pinging very faint. I have it in a few logs and I know the tune is in there, just gotta shake it out. Hopefully without engine damage.

Back