Oxygen sensor placement

Where is the best place to put the oxygen sensors? The Lightning has 4 and I know two of them could be turned off if needed, but do they need to stay before the turbo etc...??

Thanks Mike

A good rule of thumb is to place the primary sensor no more than 12" from the exhaust port.
I have some experience with this. On my GenII with big cams and fancy dancy stainless headers, it wouldn't idle worth a crap. Instead of changing the program I took the hard way and moved the sensors from the header collectors to the 3rd pipe back on both sides and not more than 12" from the port and it worked like a charm.....I got this info from the old Pro-M site.

The reason I did this was that a data log at the Ford store on there big computer said that the sensors weren't getting hot enough and not cycling correctly so I just moved the sensors.

Dale

So basically I need to keep them around the same distance that they are now. I didn't know if they should go between the turbo and header or not. The Ranger I built had them after the turbo, but they were real close to the factory length back due to the kit design.

Thanks Mike

I would try to put them 6-12" from the discharge of the turbo. I would want at least 6" after the turbo to keep from over-heating the O2.

- Brian

If you're talking about the stock narrow band O2's they can go before or after the turbo. The wideband should NOT go before the turbo, only after as the exhaust pressure of the pre-turbo config changes the reading of the O2, making it read leaner the more pressure there is.

Jody

Bad as L said:
The reason I did this was that a data log at the Ford store on there big computer said that the sensors weren't getting hot enough and not cycling correctly so I just moved the sensors.

Dale

I wonder if this could have anything to do with the problem that Phil is having tuning his truck?

FMOS Racing said:
I wonder if this could have anything to do with the problem that Phil is having tuning his truck?

On an open loop tune, that wouldn't make a difference since I'm not relying on the O2's just the flow across the maf.

It may explain some surging I was getting at idle when running a closed loop tune.

Right now, the truck idles nicely when the IAC, MAF are disconnected and 02's are ignored in the tune. Jody got it to idle nicely when the IAC and MAF are connected now.

Idle was something I never had any problem with on my truck. It was only the decel issue (with the converter unlocked).

I did run mine all the time with adaptive learning off though, now that I think about it.

Yeah, that's my only problem right now... is that stupid decel issue. Jody figured out my throttle blade was shut too much and once we started adjusting that, the idle smoothed out to be as even and steady as a Cadillac.

Back