Open Track 2004??

Open Track --Keep or Drop?

• Keep Open Track but charge an extra (~$75) to run.

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Drop Open Track, but keep Autocross

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Drop both Open Track and Autocross

Votes: 7 13.5%

• Total voters
Well a couple of things. The Open Track was mis marketed. I've payed over $150 a day to run some tracks. So for $75 was the cheapest event I've ever been too. I feel most people would of payed double. I know I would of. Now unfortunaly for most L owners is that they have only drag raced and don't know any better. Now I didn't mean to offend but I draged a little bit then tried open road and I quit the rest of that crap.

Also the open track was just thrown in the end there. Made such a big deal over all the drag racing that no one knew or cared about the OT. Also There where a couple of people that saw the on track going and tried signing up and where turned away because they missed tech. That is not right. Those are the people that you want too. We could of teched the truck, took his money and been done with it.

And I've been talking with SVTOA about this, but right now you HAVE to open the event to all cars! Their money spends the same!!! It is too new of a event and its hard to get some one to try something new.

A idea I've pitched to SVTOA is espically in the morning charge $5 for 3 hot laps around the track in a instructors car or truck. That guy on the fence will get his cash out I promise. I've been wanting to do this to show what its like out there. And my truck is 98% stock so its not intimadating to anyone. But this way you get some small change if they don't get out there but I KNOW some people will go sign up.

And to shut up, no I don't think I'd be interested if it was a drag only Lfest.

Alex

Hey Alex, don't be so wishy-washy, will ya. I hate see you on the fence like that, you might fall off. ;)

Come on now, tell us what you really think!!
:D

Vern

Vern said:
Hey Alex, don't be so wishy-washy, will ya. I hate see you on the fence like that, you might fall off. ;)

Come on now, tell us what you really think!!
:D

Vern

:DLOL:D Well Vern at least you know I love my hobby! Got to stick up for it! And I think before I complted my first lap, I fell onto this side of the fence!:hh: LOL!!!

Alex

The open track wasn't a last minute thing. The option was on the registration form the first time I looked at it several months before the event. The problem with OT is that people are scared of wadding up their vehicle or they think it must be specially prepped to go around the track. My truck is also 98% stock, but it did fine other than some pretty severe brake fade.

We will have Open Track again, just not for the same cost as last year. We will probably also have other clubs running with the L's and HD's also.

...Dwight...

BigD said:
We will have Open Track again, just not for the same cost as last year. We will probably also have other clubs running with the L's and HD's also.

...Dwight...
Allright Dwight!!!!! also Alex had very good idea,, about trying Instuctors vehicle,,:eek: I would very much like to try something other than the heaviest vehicle to ever road race,,,;) If they would go for it.....:?

When I went to the SVTOA event at Texas last year they allowed hot laps with instructors in the instructor's cars for free. Anyone could go whether they paid for the event or not.

The instructor that I had HPT took me out for a session in his Porche. It was a tight fit but worth it. Lots of instuctors at NASA events will take the students they are working with out for a few laps, sometimes you just have to ask.

As others said, $75.00 for track time is cheep!

I also agree with making each event a pay as you go deal. The bottom line should be our bottom line though. You and Nan are not our step parents don't go into debt supporting us. Lightning Fest should pay for it's self.

Fletch

Double J and Ayrton,

We will check with the track, but I think the answer will be that the NHRA rules must be followed due to their insurance carrier....but we will check.

...Dwight...

This is Open Track!:tu:

9G4V4598.jpg

Try it, You will like it!:D

That does look like fun. I'll have to try it next year when my truck is trustworthy. Just a spectator this year. :( I presume a stock truck is just fine? I do have to agree with a previous post about Okla. There is a track called Hallet that we used when I was a member of the Corvette club. Imagine it would be cheap. I can't wait to go to this event. My first year..............

No tracks are cheap....most prices quoted DO NOT include insurance for the event. The insurance cost for last years 2 days of racing/Open track was over $3000...this year it will be more as we have 3 days of racing and are also allowing "paying specators" to see the event!

BigD said:
No tracks are cheap....most prices quoted DO NOT include insurance for the event. The insurance cost for last years 2 days of racing/Open track was over $3000...this year it will be more as we have 3 days of racing and are also allowing "paying specators" to see the event!

Wow, didn't realize so much $ went into the event. Hope that measily $ that I can contribute helps. Maybe NLOC should team up with the Hot Rod mag guys to get some sponsorship?

The open track events are not very cheap by no means at all. But I tried it once a while back. And it is now my absolte favorite thing to do. I forgot about everything else!

Alex

HPDE's are very addictive I got about five line up for the 2004 year and a couple of autocross. But I will not be in Kanasas this year.

beerkat said:
HPDE's are very addictive I got about five line up for the 2004
year and a couple of autocross. But I will not be in Kanasas this
year.

So where ARE you gonna be? I need to come EAST !!!

HEH HEH HEH

I am doing Putnam for two days in April (24-25) and maybe
the Indy SVTOA ...

Other than that Beerkat ... I'm FREE to FROLIC

Cliff

Proud Member of the ONE percenters!!!!!

PS.... the two day costs for HPDE generally run 250-325
per vehicle. And it's a lot cheaper than my cocaine habit!!!

Hi Cliff,
I was thinking about you this weekend as I burn up another caliber. I have run twice this year at CMP here in SC and have ruin a caliber at each event. This time I had to find one so I could drive home. I remember that you have the brembos on your truck. How well do they do and where did you get them?

If you want some to do in September why not go to Roebling Road in Savanna with me. You can drive to the Beach and I will put you up and then we can go on down to Savanna the next day. NASA Southeast is putting it on so you need to belong to NASA. I think that the dates are the same as the LFEST. If that will not work maybe we can find something earlier and between us. Let me know, it would be fun seeing you again.

Kim

pot is better for you.;Y

Last edited:
Back