One more Lightning vs. Z06 story

V

Venom Lover

I just remembered one other Lightning race story that you all might find amusing. I was out at Willow Springs in April with my Z06 (now sold). I am a novice road racer; that was my 3rd trip to a road course. That particular day, I had one goal: to beat my Viper buddy Ron, because he was talking all kinds of smack about how my Z06 was a "sled".

Anyway, we were out with an Impala SS club, and there were many different vehicles out there, including a Lightning (which was trailered in by the way....). Anyway, at the end of the day, I was feeling pretty pumped, because my best lap time of the day was a 1:43 vs. 1:45 for my buddy Ron.

Then I hooked up with the Lightning driver and checked out his lap times. His best of the day: 1:43. Of course I knew what the Lightning was capable of in the straight line, having seen a bunch at the local drag strips. But being equaled in the twisties by a Lightning just blew my mind!!! Kudos.
biggrin.gif

------------------
[*] '97 GTS Blue/White Stripes (Borla cat-backs & headers, smooth tubes, K&Ns, 3.55 gear, 456 rwhp, 490 rwft-lbs, 11.7 sec at 120.5 mph)
[*] '01 Z06 Black/Mod Red (sold)
Viper_3.jpg

I'm telling you, go test drive one! They will amaze you!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Shane L.

93 black- 13.14 @ 104 (mine)
99 red- 13.04 @ 107 (my inheritance) HEHE

Hmmm....the SR-71 Blackbird is known in and around Beale AFB, and in the Habu community as a "sled." Until somebody proves the Aurora exists, the sled remains the fastest jet ever produced. I guess I would have taken it as a compliment.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Stevie-Ray
NLOC #606
Double Aught Red L Gofastruck, #3460 DOB 5-31
ARE LSII
BedRug
Homedics BackExpert 2000
Custom mats
SVT Front End Cover
Clear tails
Keypad Entry
JL Stage II Ram Air
2001 Ranger 4X4 Daily Driver
9993917.jpg

The SR-71 term I heard from a former employer who claimed to have (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) worked on the development project for the Black Bird was, "It's faster than a 30.06 bullet."

Which goes a long way toward explaining why the SR-71 was unarmed...

CAN'T BE SEEN,
CL

I wonder if that will have an effect on the "R/T can outhandle the Gen II" misconception ?

------------------
Nothing strikes faster than Lightning!

Hmm, wonder why a "stock" vehicle was trailered in?

------------------

See post "...call it a draw z06 vs. lightning..." post by venom lover.
This is great! <I HATE VETTS>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DaPurpleR/T:
Hmm, wonder why a "stock" vehicle was trailered in?

</font>

Mabey it was his trailer and he brought it just in case one of his freinds broke and he put the truck there cause there was no sence in driving both. Then his freind didn't break so he trailered it home. Makes sence

He claimed the Lightning was stock. He also claimed it was his 1st or 2nd time road racing. I find it hard to believe that both of those are true, but a big part of success at Willow is having no fear.

As for the "sled" comment, I guarantee you Ron did not mean it as a compliment!!!
wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Condor Legion:
The SR-71 term I heard from a former employer who claimed to have (and I have no reason to disbelieve him) worked on the development project for the Black Bird was, "It's faster than a 30.06 bullet."

Which goes a long way toward explaining why the SR-71 was unarmed...

CAN'T BE SEEN,
CL
</font>
CL,
It is faster at full throttle than a 30.06 bullet, but it wasn't originally intended to be unarmed. The original design was the YF-12A (resting at Wright-Patt) an interceptor for which the Hughes AIM-54 Phoenix missile system was developed. The idea was scrapped and the Phoenix went to the Navy's Tomcat. But the Phoenix was the only missile in the inventory fast enough (mach 4+) to be fired from the Blackbird. Sorry, off topic.

------------------
Stevie-Ray
NLOC #606
Double Aught Red L Gofastruck, #3460 DOB 5-31
ARE LSII
BedRug
Homedics BackExpert 2000
Custom mats
SVT Front End Cover
Clear tails
Keypad Entry
JL Stage II Ram Air
2001 Ranger 4X4 Daily Driver
9993917.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Venom Lover:
He claimed the Lightning was stock. He also claimed it was his 1st or 2nd time road racing. I find it hard to believe that both of those are true, but a big part of success at Willow is having no fear.

As for the "sled" comment, I guarantee you Ron did not mean it as a compliment!!!
wink.gif
</font>

Hey man, if I beat a Z06 on a road cours,e I'd probably lie and say my truck is stock, my tranny is slipping, and this is my first time at any kind of track. LOL. I'd eventually tell ya the truth, but it'd be gun to watch a Z06 owner pull his hair out.
biggrin.gif

I have heard that the Gen 1's hangle better that the Gen 2's on road courses. Any truth to that???

I have heard the same thing, several times. I know that in fooling around I am constantly suprised by the brakes and the way that my '94 is GLUED to the tarmac.

I haven't had that much seat time in a GenII though (dammit!).

------------------
White Lightning #2252//'80 Mercury Capri-306 balanced, D.S.S forged pistons, TFS heads, Holley 750,Tremec, 4.10 gears, more... 13.20@107MPH//'01 F-250 White, PSD, 6 speed, 4X4, extended cab,/wife's white '01 Sport Trac
I have a thing for white vehicles!

dont the Gen 1's still have the twin I-beam? can it really be made to handle that good??? Perhaps some hope for my 68

Yes, it is still twin I-beam.

You will run out of balls before a Gen 1 does, in a corner anyhow.

Hehehe, yeah that was me!!! Looks like my memory for the numbers is a little off. Lightning driver ran a 1:44 vs. my best lap time of 1:45! (And my buddy Ron ran a best of 1:48 for the day.)
redface.gif

Unfortunately, I have no idea who the Lightning guy was. Now I wish I had gotten his info, but I didn't.

I never did any mods to the Z06, not even intake or filter, as I knew I was going to sell within a year or two. I never ran faster than 12.8 at 111.2 in the 1/4, which I am not especially proud of. I'm sure the car had another couple tenths in it if I could have ever gotten below a 2.006 short time (my best). I could blame it on the fact that Carlsbad is never prepped well, but really I should just take the blame!

On a separate note, I went to Peyton Cramer Ford on Sunday and inquired about the two '01 Lightnings they had in stock. They were asking $3K over MSRP, but they said if I begged really nicely they might consider selling for MSRP. I don't want to get hosed, so is MSRP a fair deal, or should I be pushing for a discount???

[This message has been edited by Venom Lover (edited 07-18-2001).]

Back