Oil catch can

shaunditty

Shaunditty
I bought this BBK unit a while back. It’s nice. I just can’t figure out where I want it. But I think I figured it out. Gonna mount it right by the MAP sensor. The hoses will come together and run to the back if the intake hiding them as much as possible. I wonder how much oil it will pickup. I do have the “mesh” screen in the factory pvc grommet so I didn’t think I needed a catch can, but since I have it I kinda want to try it. I just don’t want to drill any holes. I thought about mounting it off off the EGR block off plate but I need to unscrew it and drop it down enough to clear the screen inside of it. I don’t really want it mounted on the core support. That’s too far in my opinion.

Attachments

• 0E946765-A801-4DEA-AC48-3EFB1FCC46E6.jpeg
    0E946765-A801-4DEA-AC48-3EFB1FCC46E6.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1CD47F95-DA89-40A8-BCAE-7F7E12303C65.jpeg
    1CD47F95-DA89-40A8-BCAE-7F7E12303C65.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 626A504A-311F-4884-9A91-20BB6287829A.jpeg
    626A504A-311F-4884-9A91-20BB6287829A.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 40
You don't NEED one, but it definitely won't hurt anything. They'll reduce a bit of oil in the intake, but we don't have to worry about the valves getting all mucked up with carbon like direct injection vehicles do.

With a boosted truck, you'll eventually saturate that filter on the filler neck and it'll start to drip on the valve cover. (Edit) Well, maybe not. I just remembered that I had to remove the splash guard from the Mustang covers I run due to the stud-mount rockers.

jet skis come with super duper catch cans that I save for my boosted stuff. as mentioned, you don't really need one on a N/A set up but they come on N/A jet skis with dry sump systems.

On our trucks I’m not seeing why it matters if it’s boosted or not. Boosted trucks only see boost when driving hard and spend most the time in a vacuum if normal driving. Is it because the block can see more pressure, under the pistons, as a result of blow by from boost causing more oil/gas fumes being drawn into the pcv? I do have a vented oil breather fill cap which I would think keep pressure from building up, but once in a normal driving state again that the pcv will be open again and drawing air through the valve cover breather. I don’t really think I NEED a catch can I just kinda want one to see if it will pick anything up and prevent oil film from getting inside the intake. I have always read my plugs and never seen anything indicating oil getting on them.

My comment was directed at the vent filter, not the catch can. When you're under boost, the PCV is closed, all crank pressure is coming out of the filler neck. On my '95, because I run Mustang covers over stud mount rockers, I had to remove the internal splash guard/baffle at the base of the filler neck to keep the rockers from hitting. Under boost, oil mist would climb the filler neck and saturate that filter, and then drip onto the side of the motor and the header.

It probably won't be a problem on your setup since you likely still have that baffle plate installed.

you mean oil in the intake as in, intake manifold or air filter intake?
ive noticed thin weight synthetics get by stuff easier than say t6 does in my truck. i moved my driver side valve vent to the air filter housing instead of post maf meter, pcv goes in the middle/bottom of my upper edelbrock. not sure on the lightnings or your setup.

as my old engine aged, my oil level would increase with mileage........... like half an inch in 2k miles. found a hole near the exhaust valve side of the number 1 piston....... truck ran fine with almost zero issues. i just happened to pull that plug out to inspect it cuz its the easiest to get to, which led to a compression test, which led to an engine removal, which led to engine mods, which led to a lot of time and money, which led to a truck that sat in the driveway longer than expected, which led to me questioning why the @#$% did i do all this.....

I was originally going to run 2 catch cans; one for the pcv system at the intake manifold port; and one running from the TB to the valve cover. I discovered that unless I am running boost; I don't need any catch cans. I looped the pcv catch can; and kept the the one running from the TB to the valve cover.
IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

The Moroso catch can comes with a clamp and a strip of metal for mounting on a firewall. Since I had no room on the firewall; I took some scrap 90* aluminum and a T-bracket from Home Depot and used them to attach the catch can to the throttle body studs.

Back