October 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month - Scott Sanderson (NLOC# 1310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

e9tac

October 2008 Gen 1 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Scott Sanderson (NLOC# 1310).

This month's Gen 1 TOTM features a very clean white '94. The unique thing about Scott and his truck is they hail from Alaska...the land of 4x4 vehicles. Although Scott is located in a remote part of the country, he has still managed to build a very nice, clean, and respectable Gen 1. Congrats Scott for being October's Truck of The Month!

100_0587.JPG

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I've always had Fords and when the Gen1's came out I fell in love with them, but just getting done raising a family and buying a new house it wasn't in the cards at the time.

nloc_pics_011.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

A few years ago I had a 4x4 with a brush guard and spot lights. There's a place called Jim Creek, it has many trail sand dunes and fishing…also the Knik Glacier that attracts many people. It was the middle of winter everything froze over with the spot lights on and the heater and stereo blasting we came across over flow (water on top of ice) started to cross and there were open holes. I floored the truck and got through it, scared the crap out me so decided to shut the truck off. Then it wouldn’t start 20 miles from no where and not dressed for the elements. A plane flew over seen we were in trouble dropped a saw so we could make a fire. The plane spotted a truck down the river. Landed and told the person where we were at. Craig P. (town clown) had to show off any time any where, so here comes Craig through the opening decided to pitch the truck sideways and nails the front of my truck no other vehicle with in 20 miles and he hits it!! It straightened out a bend in my brush guard and shoved his tail gate in to his box. That's just one story of many about Craig P (Boss55). He is no longer with us.

nloc_pics_051.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

FRPP Mass air / PMAS 80mm / 36lbs.injectors / 255lph.inline / MSD BTM / bored 30 over / Probe piston&rods / balanced lower end / Lunati Cam 216/226 dur. 500/510 lift. / Pro Form roller rocker / Comp lifters,push rods, valves springs / Cloyes timing chain and gears / Melling oil pump / Ferrea intake and exhaust valves / ARP all internals / Edelbrock Performer Heads / Powerdyne Bd-11A 8lb. boost / Bassani Exhaust / Flexalite Fans(295) / Circle D 2600-2800 stall convertor / FTVB / 4x4 deep pan / Downs Ford drive line loop / LFP long bars / KYB shocks / "SHOW STUFF" -Goodmark 3" cowl hood / Tinted windows / clear corners front and rear / Summit Roll Pan with hidden reciever hitch / A Pillar auto meter fuel and boost gauges / Flame instrument cluster / Custom laminated center seat tray / Custom speaker box / Powder Coat Plenum and intake tubes / FRPP chrome tall valve covers.

nloc_pics_032.jpg

100_05691.JPG

100_0576.JPG

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

My Lightning was sitting in a parking lot "For Sale" it caught my eye very clean called the owner, he needed the cash to buy a new truck for his snowplowing business. He was the original owner it had 43,000 miles stored every winter. I knew that the Lightning would sell before I could sell my 94 F-150 4x4 so I gave up, that next winter I still had his # so I called and asked if it was still for sale. He still had it but it was in storage but if I was still interested in it he would sell it. It was the middle of February we had no snow that winter, I would park my truck in a empty lot with a For Sale sign and ride my bicycle to work for a month. The truck sold and had the money to go a buy the Lightning. The owner wouldn't take it out of storage until I brought in studded snow tires. I had a set of directional wheels already, but I used the stock Lightning lug nuts (not the right lug nuts) after buying it the wife and daughter went Lightning parts shopping because of the lug nuts the front tire fell off going down the highway, luckily no one got hurt or the "Lightning" and that gave me a reason to put on grooved/cross drilled brake rotors on.

100_0496.JPG

100_05791.JPG

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I’m 48 years young, married for 30 years to my Vicky. We have 2 children son Josh and daughter Holly and three wonderful grandsons Taylor (11) Kai (4) Rylin (2) and another one on the way. I work at the City of Palmer in the public works department for 13 years in road maintenance. I have been a heavy equipment operator my whole life. As for hobbies I’m a jack of all trades. I have done all the work on my Lightning myself. I have also raced and ridden Motocross since 1973. I manage a motocross track for the last 12 years. When fall rolls around, and the Lightning gets put away, hunting and fishing come into play. The month of September is moose hunting.

100_0539.JPG

100_0520.JPG

100_0555.JPG

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I have been a user and a member since 2003. I was racing my truck at Alaska Raceway Park and a member of the NLOC, Matt95L approached me and gave the information to join NLOC. I was hooked from the start, like someone said to me "welcome to the addiction."

100_04951.JPG

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I think it's just fine for the average person that deals with computer every day; for someone like me that runs heavy equipment, I’m a little slow, but I’m getting there.

nloc_pics_052.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Pretty simple there, "my name" I think I was so excited when I joined I couldn't think of anything at the time.

100_0585.JPG

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

Hoping for Eaton rear and maybe getting my rims powder coated.

100_0218.JPG

100_01621.JPG

10. This is where you link favorite websites, your website, family pictures and add any other comments.

First and foremost my wife for putting up with me while working two jobs to pay for all the parts, Art at Valley Machine, Tom (brother-in-law) for getting and painting my hood, and all the NOLC members for all the help and suggestions. A special thanks to Chris at Circle D for taking my converter to the Post Office and saving me hundreds of dollars in freight to Alaska. Last but not least thanks Brad for taking all the pictures.

100_0006.jpg

Congratulations to Scott Sanderson and his 1994 White Gen 1 Truck of the Month, October 2008!

100_0033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
super clean truck and certainly some of the most scenic pics ever!

Man Scott I did not even realize you were in Alaska......I have got to pay attention to the avatars more :help:

Congrats buddy well deserved

EE

congrats on a very nice truck Scott! Where did your grill inserts come from?? I like them! White is the coolest! When I decided to buy a gen 1, I knew that white was the color I wanted, I was just lucky enough to find one somewhat close!

OIh,, thanks, I did not even realize you were in Alaska......I have got to pay attention to the avatars more..

Totm

My time is about up so I would like to thank first and foremost the NLOC for voting my truck for the TOTM and everyone for the congrats they sent me. There is a lot of nice looking Lightnings out there and everybody takes pride in what they have so I would like to congratulate past and future TOTM,thanks abunch Scott.:eek:ldtu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back