nother turbo build

Jabo04

Im about to get with it on the turbo build. Ive had the truck about a month and have been doing a lot of research on this site. Its a Black 93 170k miles. Ive been doing all the prep work to get the truck ready. So far have pulled the engine and trans to replace leaky rear main. Tore engine down and checked bearings and bores. All looked good so buttoned up with better valve springs, new timing set, HO cam advanced 4degrees and the crane/cobra 1.7 rockers.

The trans had ford reman sticker on it and shifted firm. I got a sure cure kit on the way and will get inside it soon. I just got my PATC triple disk 2500 stall from the Brown Santa (UPS)

Today I replaced the computer and all under hood wiring with a 95 mass air set up.

I fabbed a set of long bars out of aluminum. Still need to weld on the brackets to rear and frame.

Plan is for a mid mount. I have 90% of the components for the turbo set up from my mustang days. This is going to be fairly mild. 67mm turbo 10-12 lbs boost. Don't care about Dyno numbers but would love to break into 7's at my local 8th mile track and have a nice cruiser for the weekends. I just became a paid member. I am appreciative of this site and have spent many hours reading up on hear and hope I can offer some info with my build. I will post up some pics soon when I start the fab work. I still need to rebuild the front end before I slip the eng/trans back in so it will be be a couple weeks. This truck is sound but was used as a work truck before I got it and Im semi restoring it as I go so when its done it looks and works the part.

Sounds like a good plan. Never heard of aluminum long bars before.

As someone with 38 years in the aluminum industry, I'd use steel tubing solely based on whats available to the common consumer. The cost difference between true solid stock aviation material (anything else and you'll bend it) and steel isn't worth it.

yeah I decided to try aluminum because the shipping weight on some JLP bars was 75 lbs. Im trying to lighten the Lightnin anywhere I can so adding that much weight was killing me. If they flex I will truss them. If they still dont work I will fab some out of steel. I can re use the adjustable ends and the brackets will allready be in place so not a big deal. Im thinking they will work fine but we will see.

yeah I decided to try aluminum because the shipping weight on some JLP bars was 75 lbs. Im trying to lighten the Lightnin anywhere I can so adding that much weight was killing me. If they flex I will truss them. If they still dont work I will fab some out of steel. I can re use the adjustable ends and the brackets will allready be in place so not a big deal. Im thinking they will work fine but we will see.

Caltracs are a lot lighter. And my 96 truck has been 1.52 60ft and has nothing but the stock lightning slapped bar with the gal closed up.

I believe that was with the brackets. I cant tell you that the brackets I bought are probably 15 lbs for all eight and that's not counting the bolts. It may not have been the JLP bars that I saw that shipping weight. It may have been the 2 6' lengths of 2 in .250 wall steel tubing I was looking at to make them. In any case I went with 2" ..125 wall aluminum square tube with 2" .250 wall round on the bushing end. I bought a solid bar to make a plug for the other end so I could drill and tap it to use an adjustable end. poly bushings on both. I will post up some pics when I get them back from the welder. I don't have a tig machine to do the aluminum myself.

So I was at Tommy's last night and he still had the box his long bars were shipped in so I took a picture. 17lbs

b9421b71470ad8d20cd712007da428d9.jpg

wow thats not bad. If that includes the brackets and hardware then that is as light or lighter than what Im making. Hope mine end up working good.

Any one know off hand how long the factory injectors are. I want to order some siemens and they sell short, med and long. Looking at the pics I can't tell if I need the short or med length. I know if they are long you can space the fuel rail up but would rather not if it is not necessary and obviously being to short wont work.

Also 60lb injectors are enough for now but I can get 80s for same price which would allow for growth when I blow up the stock internals or the speed bug gets me and I do a stroker with heads. I guess that's a question for my tuner but wondered if any one hear has used 80# and if the idle and drivability will be the same.

Any one know off hand how long the factory injectors are. I want to order some siemens and they sell short, med and long. Looking at the pics I can't tell if I need the short or med length. I know if they are long you can space the fuel rail up but would rather not if it is not necessary and obviously being to short wont work.

Also 60lb injectors are enough for now but I can get 80s for same price which would allow for growth when I blow up the stock internals or the speed bug gets me and I do a stroker with heads. I guess that's a question for my tuner but wondered if any one hear has used 80# and if the idle and drivability will be the same.

I'm using Siemens 80lbs. My drivability and idle is fine, don't remember the length I bought them from a Mustang performance site (for a fox body).

Can someone help me on posting pics. I used the insert image button but it does not display the picture, just a link you have to click on to open the picture. I can open them. I dont know if anyone else can. Thanks for any help.

Back